1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Electromagnetic wave question

1. Jun 8, 2004 #1
    This one doesn't make sense to me.

A lost person may signal by flashing a flashlight on and off using morse code. This is actually a modulated EM wave. Is it AM or FM? What is the frequencey of the carrier, approximately?

How can a light wave be AM or FM? I don't get it.
    I thought the answer was AM though.
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 9, 2004 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, it's AM- though you are right- it's a stretch to call it "AM" or "FM"! "AM" means "amplitude modulation": you create the signal by changing (modulating) the amplitude (strength) of the signal. "FM" means "frequency modulation" where you change the frequency of the signal. The frequency of light is what determines the color and you can't change that. By flashing the light on and off you are changing the amplitude: full strength and 0. The "frequency of the carrier" is the frequency of the the light- probably close to that of yellow.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?