1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Electrostatics Problem

1. Mar 6, 2005 #1

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Problem: A metal sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q. What is the force of repulsion between the "northern" hemisphere and the "southern" hemisphere?

My book gives a formula for the electrostatic pressure:

[tex]P = \frac{\sigma ^2}{2\epsilon _0}[/tex]

pushing the surface outwards (and hence pushing the northern hemisphere away from the southern one). I can find [itex]\sigma[/itex]:

[tex]\sigma = \frac{Q}{4\pi R^2}[/tex]

so I get:

[tex]P = \frac{Q^2}{32\pi ^2 \epsilon _0 R^4}[/tex]

The force acting on one hemisphere will be the pressure times the area of that hemisphere, which is just [itex]2\pi \R^2[/itex], so I get:

[tex]F = \frac{Q^2}{16\pi \epsilon _0 R^2}[/tex]

Is this right? The whole problem seems weird to begin with, I'm not sure if the numbers I'm using actually give me the quantity I'm looking for, and not just some other quantity related to the system. So is this right? Thanks.

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 7, 2005 #2

StatusX

Homework Helper

That looks ok. I'm not sure what your confused about.

4. Mar 7, 2005 #3

AKG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Thanks. I was confused because the book doesn't talk about spherical objects (although it says that the formula for pressure applies to any conductor), but things like flat surfaces. In a flat surface, you would still see this force, but it wouldn't make sense to think of the force in terms of a repulsion from some other conducting surface, since there is none. I wasn't sure why in this case the force was being called the force of repulsion. The force acting on one hemisphere didn't seem to be the force of repulsion due to the other hemisphere, but rather just the same type of force that exists for "open" surfaces when there isn't even any other hemisphere to repel it.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?