Another Electrostatics Problem

In summary, the problem is about finding the force of repulsion between the "northern" and "southern" hemispheres of a charged metal sphere. The formula for electrostatic pressure is used to calculate the pressure pushing the surface outwards, which is then used to find the force acting on one hemisphere. The final formula is F = (Q^2)/(16pi epsilon_0 R^2). The confusion arises from the fact that the book discusses flat surfaces while the problem involves a spherical object. However, the same type of force exists for "open" surfaces without any other object present.
AKG
Science Advisor
Homework Helper
Problem: A metal sphere of radius R carries a total charge Q. What is the force of repulsion between the "northern" hemisphere and the "southern" hemisphere?

My book gives a formula for the electrostatic pressure:

[tex]P = \frac{\sigma ^2}{2\epsilon _0}[/tex]

pushing the surface outwards (and hence pushing the northern hemisphere away from the southern one). I can find [itex]\sigma[/itex]:

[tex]\sigma = \frac{Q}{4\pi R^2}[/tex]

so I get:

[tex]P = \frac{Q^2}{32\pi ^2 \epsilon _0 R^4}[/tex]

The force acting on one hemisphere will be the pressure times the area of that hemisphere, which is just [itex]2\pi \R^2[/itex], so I get:

[tex]F = \frac{Q^2}{16\pi \epsilon _0 R^2}[/tex]

Is this right? The whole problem seems weird to begin with, I'm not sure if the numbers I'm using actually give me the quantity I'm looking for, and not just some other quantity related to the system. So is this right? Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
That looks ok. I'm not sure what your confused about.

Thanks. I was confused because the book doesn't talk about spherical objects (although it says that the formula for pressure applies to any conductor), but things like flat surfaces. In a flat surface, you would still see this force, but it wouldn't make sense to think of the force in terms of a repulsion from some other conducting surface, since there is none. I wasn't sure why in this case the force was being called the force of repulsion. The force acting on one hemisphere didn't seem to be the force of repulsion due to the other hemisphere, but rather just the same type of force that exists for "open" surfaces when there isn't even any other hemisphere to repel it.

1. What is electrostatics?

Electrostatics is the study of electric charges at rest. It deals with the behavior of stationary or slow-moving electric charges and the forces that they exert on each other.

2. What is an electrostatics problem?

An electrostatics problem is a type of physics problem that involves calculating the behavior of electric charges at rest. This can involve determining the electric field, potential, or forces between charges, among other things.

3. How do you solve an electrostatics problem?

To solve an electrostatics problem, you must first identify the relevant charges and their positions. Then, you can use Coulomb's Law and the principle of superposition to calculate the electric field or force at a specific point. You may also need to use Gauss's Law or the concept of electric potential to solve more complex problems.

4. What are some real-world applications of electrostatics?

Electrostatics has many practical applications, including in electronic devices, such as capacitors and semiconductors. It is also used in air filters, printers, and spray painting. Additionally, electrostatics is essential in understanding lightning and other atmospheric phenomena.

5. How is electrostatics related to electromagnetism?

Electrostatics and electromagnetism are closely related fields of study. Electromagnetism includes both electric charges at rest (electrostatics) and moving electric charges (electric currents). The laws of electromagnetism, such as Maxwell's equations, govern both electrostatics and electromagnetism.