What does a scale read in an elevator at rest?

• Thread starter Jedi
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Elevator
In summary, "Another Elevator Question" is a thought experiment that challenges our understanding of physics and human perception in relation to elevator physics. It has no correct answer and is meant to provoke critical thinking and discussion. It can also be applied to real-life situations and has been explored by various theories and explanations from physicists and philosophers.
Jedi
I know you must get these all of the time but...

There is a man standing on a scale in an elevator reading 490N. When the elevator is at rest what does the scale read?

I want to say 490 N because the elevator is in equilibrium, but I'm not sure...

Physics news on Phys.org
Maybe this would help as you know normal force and force of gravity cancels so you would be left with the same amount of Newtons if there were at rest.

Thank you. That's what I thought.

Thank you. That's what I thought.

1. What is "Another Elevator Question"?

"Another Elevator Question" is a thought experiment that explores the concept of elevator physics and human perception. It asks the question, if a person was inside a windowless elevator that was accelerating upwards at a constant rate, would they be able to tell if they were moving or standing still?

2. What is the purpose of "Another Elevator Question"?

The purpose of "Another Elevator Question" is to challenge our understanding of physics and perception. It encourages us to think critically about our surroundings and how our brains interpret motion and gravity.

3. Is there a correct answer to "Another Elevator Question"?

No, there is no right or wrong answer to this thought experiment. It is meant to provoke discussion and critical thinking about physics and human perception.

4. How does "Another Elevator Question" relate to real-life situations?

"Another Elevator Question" can be applied to real-life situations such as being in a moving vehicle or experiencing the sensation of weightlessness on a rollercoaster. It helps us understand how our brains interpret motion and gravity in different situations.

5. Are there any notable theories or explanations for "Another Elevator Question"?

There are various theories and explanations for "Another Elevator Question" proposed by physicists and philosophers, including the concept of the Equivalence Principle and the role of the vestibular system in our perception of motion and gravity.