1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another epsilon-delta proof

1. Oct 17, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Similar to the problem I just posted, here's another one:

Suppose [tex]A[/tex] is the set of all numbers that can be written as [tex]\dfrac{1}{n}[/tex], where [tex]n \in \mathbb{N}[/tex].

Define a function [tex]f[/tex] such that

[tex]
    \begin{equation*}
    f(x) = \left\{
    \begin{array}{cc}
    0 & : x \in A\\
    x & : x \not \in A
    \end{array}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

Prove that

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = a
    [/tex]

2. Relevant equations

3. The attempt at a solution

Proof:

For [tex]x \in (-\infty, 0)\cup(1,\infty) \Rightarrow f(x) = x[/tex]

which is a continuous function. Thus

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a) = a
    [/tex]

Now consider the interval [tex](0, 1][/tex]. Suppose [tex]a[/tex] is in this interval. If [tex]a \not \in A[/tex], then [tex]\delta[/tex] can be chosen sufficiently small so that the open interval [tex](a-\delta, a+\delta)[/tex] does not contain any [tex]x \in A[/tex]. In this subinterval, [tex]f(x) = x[/tex] and

[tex]
    \lim_{x \to a} f(x) = f(a) = a
    [/tex]

Now suppose [tex]a \in A[/tex]. Then [tex]a[/tex] can be written as [tex]a = \dfrac{1}{n}[/tex].
    Choose [tex]\delta = |\dfrac{1}{n}-\dfrac{1}{n+1}| = |\dfrac{1}{n(n+1)}|[/tex].
    Thus [tex]\delta[/tex] is the minimum distance to the next [tex]x \in A[/tex].

Once I get here, I'm stuck... I'm trying to show that if delta is the minimum distance to the next x in A, then for all [tex]x \not = a[/tex] in that subinterval, [tex]f(x) = x[/tex]. But I'm confused about what to do next. I'm not sure what this implies with regards to epsilon.

I'm also not sure what to do for x = 0.

Last edited: Oct 18, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Oct 18, 2009 #2
    I've had a think about it and I think this is what it means...

If [tex]\epsilon \geq \dfrac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex] then take [tex]\delta = \dfrac {1}{n(n+1)}[/tex].

If [tex]0 < \epsilon < \dfrac{1}{n(n+1)}[/tex] then take [tex]\delta = \epsilon[/tex].

Ugh, the way I've chosen to do it seems complicated...

4. Oct 18, 2009 #3
    can anyone confirm that what i'm on the right track here?

5. Oct 18, 2009 #4

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

. There is nothing much else to be done. For that delta, as you say, [itex]f(x)= x[/itex] so |f(x)- a|= |x- a|. Now, if we call that "delta" [itex]\delta_1[/itex], we can take [itex]\delta[/itex] to be the smaller of [itex]\delta_1[/itex] and [itex]\epsilon[/itex]. If [itex]0< |x-a|< \delta[/itex], then, since |x- a|< delta so |f(x)- a|= |x- a|< [itex]\epsilon[/itex]

If a= 0, then, for any [itex]\epsilon> 0[/itex], there exist x in A less than [itex]\epsilon[/itex] so that f(x)= 0. But now |f(x)- a|= |f(x)| so that's not a problem.

6. Oct 18, 2009 #5
    Thanks very much for the clarification.

7. Oct 18, 2009 #6
    Both of these problems are trivial in light of one lemma. The set up for the lemma is this: Let [tex]f[/tex] be a function on a set [tex]S[/tex] and suppose that [tex]\lim_{x \to a} f(x) = b[/tex]

Now let [tex]

\begin{equation*}
    f_{a}(x) = \left\{
    \begin{array}{cc}
    f(x) & : x \neq a\\
    \alpha & : x = a
    \end{array}
    \end{equation*}
    [/tex]

Where [tex]\alpha[/tex] is arbitrary (in fact, we don't even need to define [tex]f_{a}[/tex] at [tex]a[/tex]). What can you say about [tex]\lim_{x \to a}f_{a}[/tex]?

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook