How can the Rational Roots Theorem help with factoring?

• Thread starter Miike012
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Factoring
In summary, The conversation discusses finding the highest common factor (HCF) of two polynomial equations and the use of the Rational Roots Theorem to determine possible linear factors. It is mentioned that the HCF may not always have simple factors due to the original equations not having simple factors.
Miike012

Homework Statement

I added attachment...

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    29.6 KB · Views: 416
Physics news on Phys.org
The document shows too small and too blurry, even after I change the screen magnification;actually, the magnification seems to have no effect, even no change at 200%. It appears to be something about polynomial or synthetic division.

I added another attachment... I made it bigger...
if you can't read it... the problem is...

What is the HCF of
x^4 + 3x^3 +12x -16 and x^3 -13x+12

I have another quick question if you don't mind answering?

The question is what is the HCF of 2x^3 + 4x^2 - 7x -14 and 6x^3 - 10x^2 -21x +35

If I multiply 3 by the first equation then subtract from the second equation I get...

6x^3 - 10x^2 -21x +35 - 6x^3 - 12x^2 + 21x +42 = -22x^2 + 77 = -11(2^2-7)

HCF = (2^2-7)
How do I know to stop at -22x^2 + 77? And why isn't -11 included into the HCF? Is it because there isn't a simple factor in the two originals therefore there will not be a simple factor in the HCF?

Mike012,
This may be too simple compared to how you want to factor, but I would try some sense from the Rational Roots Theorem. Initially this would check for linear factors, but it would still give enough results for degree 2 or degree 3; there may be either a degree 2 which itself might not be factorable into linears, or there may be a degree 2 which is composed of two linears.

1. What is factoring and why is it important in science?

Factoring is the process of breaking down a number or expression into its smaller, simpler components. It is important in science because it allows us to solve complex equations and understand relationships between different variables.

2. What is the difference between prime and composite numbers?

A prime number is a number that is only divisible by 1 and itself, while a composite number is a number that has more than two factors. In other words, a prime number cannot be factored any further, while a composite number can be broken down into smaller factors.

3. How can factoring be applied in real-world situations?

Factoring can be used in various real-world situations, such as cryptography, where it is used to encrypt and decrypt messages. It is also used in finance to find the optimal solution for investments and loans. In addition, factoring is used in chemistry to balance chemical equations and in genetics to understand inherited traits.

4. What is the difference between factoring and solving an equation?

The main difference between factoring and solving an equation is that factoring involves breaking down a number or expression into its smaller components, while solving an equation involves finding the value of the variable in the equation. Factoring is a way to simplify an equation, while solving an equation involves finding a specific solution.

5. Are there any strategies for factoring more efficiently?

Yes, there are various strategies for factoring more efficiently, such as the "ac method" or "splitting the middle term" method. These strategies involve looking for common factors or patterns in the expression and using them to simplify the factoring process.