1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another force problem

1. Oct 3, 2007 #1

lim

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

A 57.0 kg girl weighs herself by standing on a scale in an elevator. What is the force exerted by the scale when the elevator is descending at a constant speed of 10 m/s?
    What is the force exerted by the scale if the elevator is accelerating downward with an acceleration of 2.0 m/s2?
    If the elevator's descending speed is measured at 10 m/s at a given point, but its speed is decreasing by 2.0 m/s2, what is the force exerted by the scale?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma, Fs-W=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    I got the first part, 9.8(57) = 558.6 N.

For the second part I used Fs-W=ma, Fs - 558.6 = (57)2, Fs= 672 N. But that was wrong...?

For the 3rd part, I used F=ma, but F= 57 (-2) = -144 N, and that wasn't right either.

Help!

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 3, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

You are making sign mistakes. For the second part write Fs+W=ma. Fs is always in the up direction, so lets call that the + direction. The weight acts down so I should put that in with a minus sign, ditto acceleration is down, so put that in with a minus sign. Fs-558.6N=(57kg)*(-2)m/s^2. Now what do you get? What happens in part three?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2007
  4. Oct 3, 2007 #3

lim

I'm confused about part three. They give me an acceleration(-2.0 m/s^2) and I have the mass (57 kg), but how do I tie in the velocity(10m/s)?

5. Oct 3, 2007 #4

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

The elevators downward speed is DECREASING. This means its acceleration is actually UPWARDS at 2m/sec^2. You do the same thing with the 10m/sec that you did in part one. The current speed doesn't have anything to do with the current acceleration.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?