1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another force problem!

1. Sep 12, 2004 #1
    Here is the question: A duck has a mass of 2.5kg. As the duck paddles, a force of 0.10N acts on it in a direction due east. In addition, the current of the water exerts a force of 0.20N in a direction of 52degrees south of east. When the forces begin to act, the velocity of the duck is 0.11m/s in a direction due east. Find the magnitude and direction (relative to due east) of the displacement that the duck undergoes in 3.0s while the forces are acting.
    SO, I attemted to find the acceleration for the x and y and then use the tangent-1 to find the angle and the x=Vot + 1/2a(t)squared. Again not getting the answer in the back of the book 0.78m, 21degrees south of east
    Obviously I am approaching this problem wrong?! Any advice??

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2004 #2

Doc Al

Staff: Mentor

Find the x and y components of the acceleration. Then use kinematic formulas to find the x and y components of the displacement. That sounds like what you are saying you did. Show your work so we can check it out.

4. Sep 12, 2004 #3
    Rx=.20N(cos 52) + .10(cos 0)=.2231N Ry= .20(sin 52) + .10(sin 0)=.1576N

Ax=.2231N/2.5kg= .08924 Ay=.1576N/2.5kg= .0252

tan-1(.0252/.08924)=15.8degrees(wrong answer)

x=.11m/s(3.0s) + 1/2(.08924m/s^2)(3.0s)^2= wrong answer!

What step am I missing or am I completely off track?

5. Sep 12, 2004 #4

Doc Al

You are not off track, you are just making mistakes.
    OK.

OK.
    Not OK. Do over.

6. Sep 12, 2004 #5

Pyrrhus

Homework Helper

Pinky did you see that the initial velocity has only a non-zero component which is its horizontal?

7. Sep 12, 2004 #6

Doc Al

I spoke too soon before. You are a bit off track. In addition to your mistake that I already pointed out:
    It looks like you are finding the angle of the force. But you should be finding the angle of the displacement, not the force.
    That's just the x-component! Don't forget to find the y-component, and then the total displacement.

8. Sep 12, 2004 #7
    OK! I finally got it! Thanks!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?