What is the length of a sector on a ring with radius R and angle dθ?

• Thread starter GreenPrint
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Force
In summary, the homework statement is trying to solve for the mass of a very small part of the ring. It is unclear how length and mass are related. The solution can be found by finding the force on the mass m due to an infinitesimally small point mass on the ring, and the integrating over the whole ring to find the total force. However, the function used to integrate does not seem to be related to the mass.
GreenPrint

Homework Statement

See Attachment

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

Ok so I understand for the radius, the distance from m to M would be (d^2+r^2)^(1/2)
but sense the formula for gravitation is a inverse square of the displacement in between the two bodies it would be

1/(R^2+d^2)

I don't understand why the answer is in terms of d/(R^2+d^2)^(3/2)
thanks for any help

Attachments

• Capture.PNG
    Capture.PNG
    9.3 KB · Views: 507
Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
The formula [itex]F = \frac{G M m}{r^2}[/itex], where [itex]r[/itex] is the distance between the bodies is valid only for point masses (We use it when calculating planetary motion because the size of the planets are so small compared to the distances between them that they can be approximated to be point masses).

In this case only one object is a point mass. The other is not.

The solution can be found by finding the force on the mass m due to an infinitesimally small point mass on the ring, and the integrating over the whole ring to find the total force.

I would like to grasp a good understanding of these types of problems...

So I have to integrate...
well... any infinity small point on the ring is a distance sqrt(d^2 + r^2)...
um so... an infinity small point mass on the ring dM...
um I'm not exactly sure what to do or what function I'm integrating...
I'm not exactly sure what the limits of the integral would be... hm...

I'm not really sure what to do

GreenPrint said:
well... any infinity small point on the ring is a distance sqrt(d^2 + r^2)...
Correct.

To find the mass of a very small part of the ring, consider the length of that part and the fact that the mass distribution of the ring is uniform.

well length of a sector is r^2/2 * angle (I actually had to look that one up)
if the angle becomes infinity small the length of the sector would be r^2/2 dtheta

so the length of the whole ring can be expressed as

1/2 * integral[0,2pi] R^2 dtheta

so a very small piece of the ring has a length of R^2/2 dtheta and is a distance of sqrt(R^2 + d^2)

I notice that both these quantities are in terms of R...

I don't see how the length of a section of the ring is related to the mass...

GreenPrint said:
well length of a sector is r^2/2 * angle
This cannot be correct. Look at the dimensions of (r^2/2*angle).

GreenPrint said:
if the angle becomes infinity small the length of the sector would be r^2/2 dtheta

so the length of the whole ring can be expressed as

1/2 * integral[0,2pi] R^2 dtheta
You have the right idea about using integration to find the total length (circumference) of the ring here, but you need to find the correct expression for the length of the sector.

GreenPrint said:
I don't see how the length of a section of the ring is related to the mass...
Consider the fact that the ring has a uniform mass distribution. If it's M for the total length of the ring, what is it going to be for the length of the section?

1. What is "Another Force Question"?

"Another Force Question" is a term used in physics to describe a force acting on an object that is not one of the four fundamental forces (gravitational, electromagnetic, strong nuclear, and weak nuclear).

2. What are some examples of "Another Force Question"?

Examples of "Another Force Question" include friction, tension, air resistance, and normal force.

3. How is "Another Force Question" different from the four fundamental forces?

The four fundamental forces are known as the basic forces that govern all interactions in the universe, while "Another Force Question" refers to forces that are not as fundamental or universal.

4. Can "Another Force Question" be measured and quantified?

Yes, "Another Force Question" can be measured using various tools and techniques, such as force sensors and mathematical equations.

5. Why is it important to consider "Another Force Question" in scientific research?

Understanding and accounting for "Another Force Question" is crucial in accurately predicting and explaining the behavior of objects and systems in the physical world. It also allows for the development of new technologies and advancements in various fields.