Another Friction Problem

• Thread starter Peach
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Friction
In summary, the problem involves finding the horizontal force needed to drag block B to the left at a constant speed while block A is held at rest. The normal forces between A and B, and B and the ground are different. There are also two frictional forces acting on B, from A and from the ground, which are in the same direction. By drawing free body diagrams and considering the forces, the solution can be found.
Peach

Homework Statement

Block A in the figure View Figure weighs w_1 and block B weighs w_2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is u_k.

Find the magnitude of the horizontal force \vec{F} necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A is held at rest (figure (b)).

Homework Equations

F = ma
a = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted by drawing two FBDs for A and B. I have for

B: w_2 downward, F_aonb downward, normal force upward, F to the left dragging, and fk_ground
A: w_1 downward, normal force upward, F_bona, and fk_ab

Then I solved for the normal force and I got n = (w_1+w_2)/2 and then I plugged it into the fk = ukn, but well wrong answer.

I have a few questions because I don't really understand the whole picture. There's two frictional forces acting on B right? From A and from the ground? Is this correct? Also, the normal force for both B and A...are they the same or are they different? They're different right?

Attachments

• yf_Figure_5_58.jpg
    yf_Figure_5_58.jpg
    3.1 KB · Views: 459
Physics news on Phys.org
Peach said:

Homework Statement

Block A in the figure View Figure weighs w_1 and block B weighs w_2. The coefficient of kinetic friction between all surfaces is u_k.

Find the magnitude of the horizontal force \vec{F} necessary to drag block B to the left at constant speed if A is held at rest (figure (b)).

Homework Equations

F = ma
a = 0

The Attempt at a Solution

I attempted by drawing two FBDs for A and B. I have for

B: w_2 downward, F_aonb downward, normal force upward, F to the left dragging, and fk_ground what about the magnitude and direction of the friction force from A on B ?
A: w_1 downward, normal force upward, F_bona, and fk_ab Specify the directions of the ones you have identified.

Then I solved for the normal force and I got n = (w_1+w_2)/2 and then I plugged it into the fk = ukn, but well wrong answer.how did you get this?

I have a few questions because I don't really understand the whole picture. There's two frictional forces acting on B right? From A and from the ground? Is this correct? correct Also, the normal force for both B and A...are they the same or are they different? They're different right?correct[color]
Draw the FBD's again and identify the forces on each block. The normal force on block A is the force upwards of B on A.

Peach said:
B: w_2 downward, F_aonb downward, normal force upward, F to the left dragging, and fk_ground
You left out the friction force of A on B. Note also: the force you call F_aonb downward is the normal force between A and B. A and B exert two forces on each other: a normal force and a friction force.
A: w_1 downward, normal force upward, F_bona, and fk_ab
Seems like you are counting the normal force twice: F_bona is the normal force. And you left out the tension in the rope pulling on A. (You don't need to analyze the forces on A to solve this problem, but it's good exercise.)

Then I solved for the normal force and I got n = (w_1+w_2)/2 and then I plugged it into the fk = ukn, but well wrong answer.
I assume you mean the normal force between the ground and B. How did you solve for it? (Consider vertical forces only.)

I have a few questions because I don't really understand the whole picture. There's two frictional forces acting on B right? From A and from the ground? Is this correct?
Absolutely correct.
Also, the normal force for both B and A...are they the same or are they different? They're different right?
Yes. The normal force between A & B is different from the normal force between B & ground.

Okay, the friction force from A to B is going in the same direction as the friction force from the ground to B right? Because friction forces are always in the opposite direction from the acceleration and perpendicular to normal forces..? If that's not wrong, then this is what I'm getting:

n_gb: n_ab + w_2

F: fk_ab + fk_gb

Is this correct? Am I going in the right direction, no pun intended?

Edit: Oh! And n_ab is w_1 right? Because the normal force on A = n_bona = w_1? That's what I'm getting from my FBD of A...

Last edited:
Peach said:
Okay, the friction force from A to B is going in the same direction as the friction force from the ground to B right? Because friction forces are always in the opposite direction from the acceleration and perpendicular to normal forces..? If that's not wrong, then this is what I'm getting:

n_gb: n_ab + w_2

F: fk_ab + fk_gb

Is this correct? Am I going in the right direction, no pun intended?

Edit: Oh! And n_ab is w_1 right? Because the normal force on A = n_bona = w_1? That's what I'm getting from my FBD of A...
Yes, this seems correct...

I got the answer. Many thanks for both the help. ^^

What is friction?

Friction is a force that opposes the motion of an object when it comes into contact with another object or surface.

What causes friction?

Friction is caused by the microscopic irregularities and bumps on the surface of objects that come into contact with each other.

How does friction affect motion?

Friction can slow down or stop the motion of an object by converting its kinetic energy into heat.

What are the types of friction?

The three main types of friction are static friction, kinetic friction, and rolling friction.

How can friction be reduced or increased?

Friction can be reduced by using lubricants, making surfaces smoother, or using wheels or rollers. It can be increased by applying more force or increasing the roughness of the surfaces.