1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another gravity question

1. Oct 17, 2012 #1
    A body moves in circular motion around the earth with orbit radius of 3RE
    At a certain time the body detaches to 2 identical parts, each one with a mass of m: A and B. A moves in an angle of 34 deg and B moves straight to the center of the earth.

What is the angle between the velocity vector and the radius-vector of part A when it gets to a distance of 4RE from the center of the earth?

I think I'm suppose to use angular momentum conservation with respect to the center of the earth for part A and calculate it's angular momentum just after the detachment and when it's at 4RE. The problem is that I don't really know how can I justify angular momentum conservation... I think that gravity produces torque and so this is a problem...

Attached Files:

2. jcsd
  3. Oct 17, 2012 #2

gneill

Staff: Mentor

Gravity produced by a point source will not produce a torque on an orbiting point mass. Assuming that the Earth is taken to be a spherically symmetric distribution of mass, it will produce the same field as a point mass located at its center. Angular momentum is always conserved.

4. Oct 17, 2012 #3
    I'm sorry I got confused for a second... r and the gravity force lay on the same line for every moment so of course gravity doesn't produce torque... thanks

5. Oct 17, 2012 #4

gneill

Staff: Mentor

1. Assuming that the mass of the Earth is much greater than that of A, then Earth's field will dominate the motion of A with respect to the Earth. Whether or not the orbit is closed is another matter (check the velocity of A versus escape velocity at R = 3Re).

2. Angular momentum is ALWAYS conserved. For orbiting objects its a constant of the motion. For a proof, any text on astrodynamics should have a derivation of the equation of motion for the two-body system. One of my favorites is "Fundamentals of Astrodynamics" by Bate, Mueller, and White (very inexpensive yet amazingly good).

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook