1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Green's function

1. Dec 21, 2016 #1

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Find the green's function for y'' +4y' +3y = 0 with y(0)=y'(0)=0 and use it to solve y'' +4y' +3' =e^-2x

2. Relevant equations
    ##y = \int_a^b G*f(z)dz##

3. The attempt at a solution
    ##\lambda^2 + 4\lambda + 3 = 0 \to \lambda = -1,-3##

##G(x,z) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
    Ae^{-x} + Be^{-3x} & z<x \\
    Ce^{-x} + De^{-3x} & x<z
    \end{array} \right. ##

y(0) = 0 -> A=-B
    y'(0) =0 -> A=B=0

continuity:
    ##Ce^{-z} +De^{-3z}=0 \to C = -De^{-2z}##
    ##-Ce^{-z} -3De^{-3z} = 1 \to [De^{-2^z}]e^{-z} - 3De^{-3z} = -2De^{-3z} = 1##
    ##D=-1/2e^{3z}## & ##C= 1/2e^z##

##G(x,z) = \left\{ \begin{array}{ll}
    0 & z<x \\
    1/2e^ze^{-x} - 1/2e^{3z}e^{-3x} & x<z
    \end{array} \right. ##

The problem comes in when I go to integrate to get the solution.
    ##y = \int_x^{\infty} [ 1/2e^{-(x+z)} - 1/2 e^{z-3x}]dz##
    The second integral is divergent in z.

Last edited by a moderator: Dec 21, 2016
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 21, 2016 #2

Orodruin

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Assuming z > 0 you have put the wrong side of the Green's function to zero ...

4. Dec 21, 2016 #3

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

So, choose the opposite convention: ##G(x,z) = 0## if ##x < z## and ##G(x,z) = A e^{-x} + Be^{-3x}## if ##x > z##. Nevermind the boundary conditions ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the Green's function. You can adjust the homogeneous solution to ensure that ##y(0) = y'(0) = 0## on the actual solution ##y(x)## itself----that is where you want it to occur!

If you work it out you will see that the particular solution(for ##x > 0##) is
    $$y_p(x) = \int_0^{\infty} G(x,z) f(z) \, dz = \int_0^x G(x,z) f(z) \, dz$$
    which involves only convergent integrations.

5. Dec 21, 2016 #4

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Why? I'm not sure I understand this part, then. So, if I assume z <0, I have put the correct side to zero, yes? Does the rest follow? Because then I end up with the first integral diverging with limits -infty to x. Or is there a flaw here as well? I'm missing something between boundary conditions and the limits of integration, I think.

6. Dec 21, 2016 #5

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

I wasn't aware you could choose one side to be zero. I know we have had problems where neither side was zero, say one had a sin term and the other a cosine term. The zero on one sade emerged from the boundary conditions. Is this still a viable way to solve these problems?

7. Dec 21, 2016 #6

Ray Vickson

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just plug in the final result for ##y_p(x)## into the DE. Does it work? If so, it is correct; if not, it is incorrect. (However, we cooked up ##G(x,z)## in such a way that it does, in fact, work!)

If you have characteristic roots of opposite signs, so for example, you have ##e^x## and ##e^{-2x}## as homogeneous solutions, then, indeed, you may need to take ##G = A e^x## for ##x < z## and ##G = B e^{-2x}## for ##x > z## (or maybe the other way round); that keeps your integrals convergent. However, if both characteristic roots have the same sign, then you are more-or-less forced to keep ##G## bounded (or at least, not too "explosive" at ##\infty##) by choosing a one-sided version.

PS. I did not understand your comment in a reply in another thread, about having to do more integrals if the Green's function does not satisfy the problem's overall boundary condition. You still have to perform only a single integration of the form ##\int_0^{\infty} G(x,z) f(z) dz## (although it may split up into two pieces ##z < x## and ##z > x## in some cases). The problem boundary conditions are fitted by tuning the constants in the homogeneous solution, and so do not need any more integrations.

8. Dec 21, 2016 #7

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Hmm.. I see what you're saying. That doesn't chang the behavior of G? "Bounding" the limits, that is.

9. Dec 22, 2016 #8

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Yes. If you assume ##z<0##, the Green's function would be
    $$G(x,z) = \begin{cases} 0 & x>z \\ \frac 12 e^{-(x-z)} - \frac 12 e^{-3(x-z)} & x < z \end{cases}.$$ When ##x=0##, you have that ##x>z##, so ##G(0,z)=0## and ##G'(0,z)=0##. The boundary conditions are satisfied.
    It's easy to get mixed up here. When you're finding ##G##, you typically think of ##z## as fixed and ##x## as the variable. When you do the integral to find ##y##, you want to consider ##x## fixed and ##z## as changing (because it's the variable of integration).

The solution for ##x<0## is given by
    $$y(x) = \int_{-\infty}^0 G(x,z)e^{-2z}\,dz.$$

Look at the integral while considering ##x## fixed. From ##z=-\infty## to ##z=x##, you have ##z<x##, so ##G(x,z)## vanishes. You only get contributions when ##z>x##, so the limits of the integral become
    $$y(x) = \int_x^0 G(x,z)e^{-2z}\,dz.$$ No infinities anymore, so everything converges.

10. Dec 22, 2016 #9

vela

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Education Advisor

Ray's not saying you can arbitrarily set one side to 0. You chose the wrong end of ##G## and consequently found ##A=B=0## and kept ##C## and ##D## around. If you assume ##z>0##, then when ##x=0##, you have ##x<z##. So in your original work, you should have found ##C=D=0## and kept the ##A## and ##B## terms around.

If you assume ##z<0##, however, your work above was correct. So the Green's function you found is good for ##z<0##, but not good for ##z>0##.

11. Dec 22, 2016 #10

BiGyElLoWhAt

Gold Member

Ahhh, Ok, that makes sense. I've caught a few careless mistakes similar to this one before. I just wasn't seeing the inconsistency here. Thanks everyone.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?
Draft saved Draft deleted