Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another guitar question

1. Dec 13, 2005 #1
    This might a little too obscure, but something that confuses me about the guitar is the pickups. I understand how they work, however there are certain types of pickups, called humbuckers, where instead of having 1 coil of wire in the guitar to emit a magnetic field, there is another one.. The point of this is to cancel out a buzz that you get with a single coil pickup when plugged into an amp. My question is why would this do so, and where does this buzz come from in the first place?
  2. jcsd
  3. Dec 14, 2005 #2

Science Advisor

I have read the exact reasoning once, but I forget the details. Basically, the coils in the second pickup are wound the opposite way. The buzz you get from a single coil pickup is just electrical noise from electrical things around you. It turns out that the coils are not only efficient conductors, but decent antenna as well. But, however when both signals are combined, the two signals cancel each other out due to the opposite windings.
    Last edited: Dec 14, 2005
  4. Dec 14, 2005 #3
    Hmm so exactly what do you mean by the are oppositley wound? I mean does current flow in the opposite direction?
  5. Dec 14, 2005 #4

Gold Member

I'm thinkin' clockwise vs. counter-clockwise.
  6. Dec 14, 2005 #5
    Whats the difference if the current is travelling in the same direction.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?