Is George Bush Misusing Taxpayer Money for His Re-Election Campaign?

• News
  • Thread starter schwarzchildradius
  • Start date
In summary, the conversation discusses various examples of how the Bush administration has used taxpayer money for campaigning purposes. These include using government employees for opposition research, running misleading ads, using Air Force One as a campaign plane, and promoting policy events for fundraising purposes. The conversation also mentions comparisons to past presidents, such as Clinton, who have also used their position for political gain. The main point is that the Bush administration has taken these actions to an unprecedented level, causing concern among some individuals.
schwarzchildradius
Here are some of the most outrageous ways George Bush is using our tax money to campaign for another four years in the White House:

The Bush-Cheney campaign has used government employees to conduct opposition research on John Kerry. Even a former Republican Treasury official admitted that they had "stepped over the line." [Wall Street Journal, 3/31/04]

The White House directed the Health and Human Services Department to run thinly disguised campaign ads that mislead seniors about Bush's Medicare plan which funnels billions of dollars to giant pharmaceutical companies. [Washington Post, 10/20/02]

The Bush campaign is charging taxpayers $15 million dollars for political forays into battleground states, turning Air Force One into the Bush campaign plane. Bush has even asked for a larger travel budget for 2004, funded by the taxpayers. [Washington Post, 10/20/02]

The White House has billed the federal Office of Family Assistance $210,000 to help pay for five trips in which President Bush promoted welfare reform at official events and made separate fundraising appearances for GOP candidates. [Washington Post, 10/20/02]

"[Bush's] Cabinet secretaries are covering additional ground to spread good news about the Bush administration." [Associated Press, 4/5/04]

"'One hundred seventy million dollars would not be nearly enough for [Bush] to run for re-election if he had to reimburse the full cost of traveling on Air Force One,' Federal Election Commission spokesman Bob Biersack said." [CNN.com, 3/22/04]

The House Resources Committee posted a diatribe against Kerry's "absurd" energy ideas on its taxpayer-funded Web site. [Associated Press, 4/6/04]

Physics news on Phys.org
*waits for the inevitable "but Clinton..." posts, and wonders how many of them will be lies*

Zero said:
"but Clinton..."
... rented out the White House itself. :cool:

Yeah, Bush is a politician. I'm shocked. :eek:

Thanks, Russ, repeating the first "lie about Clinton" for the thread...I was wondering how long it was going to take!

BTW, I agree that it is politics as usual, I think it is wrong when anyone does it...I just don't see the need to bring up other politicians, because if it is wrong when one does it, it is wrong for all.

Yeah, Bush is a politician. I'm shocked.

The point is that Bush has put politics over policy in an unprecedented way. It is the degree to which the Bush Administration has exploited policy agencies that is scary.

Zero said:
Thanks, Russ, repeating the first "lie about Clinton" for the thread...I was wondering how long it was going to take!
Hmm, well, I guess it makes sense to put "lie about Clinton" in quotes, since its not true itself. I'm sure you know about the Lincoln bedroom.
The point is that Bush has put politics over policy in an unprecedented way. It is the degree to which the Bush Administration has exploited policy agencies that is scary.
I guess you're probably serious when you say this. It seems a lot of people on this board agree with it. Whatever Bush learned from Clinton, he hasn't executed nearly as well. Clinton was the master at whoring out his position, opinions, decisions, etc. No one else has ever come close.

ok, cool...mentors pushing to get threads locked? Good job Russ.

1. How is "Another GWB ripoff of YOU" different from other ripoff movies?

"Another GWB ripoff of YOU" is unique in that it incorporates elements of science and technology into its plotline. It also explores themes of identity and morality, making it stand out from other generic ripoff movies.

2. Is the science in "Another GWB ripoff of YOU" accurate?

As a scientist, I can assure you that the science depicted in the movie is mostly accurate. Of course, there may be some creative liberties taken for the sake of storytelling, but overall, the concepts and principles presented are grounded in reality.

3. Who stars in "Another GWB ripoff of YOU"?

The movie features a talented cast, including renowned actors and rising stars. Some notable names include [insert names] who deliver stellar performances in their respective roles.

4. Will "Another GWB ripoff of YOU" have a sequel?

While there are currently no plans for a sequel, the ending of the movie leaves room for potential continuation. It will ultimately depend on the success and reception of the first installment.

5. Can I watch "Another GWB ripoff of YOU" without seeing the original?

Yes, "Another GWB ripoff of YOU" is a standalone movie and can be enjoyed without any prior knowledge of the original film. However, if you have seen the original, you may catch some references and Easter eggs throughout the movie.