• Support PF! Buy your school textbooks, materials and every day products Here!

Another Halliday and Resnick error? Linear momentum conservation/inelastic collisions

• Thread starter Syrus
  • Start date

Homework Statement

See the attached photo for the problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The provided solution is 25 cm. I obtain about 13.4 cm, however. I am using the conservation of linear momentum and the conservation of energy (between the initial kinetic energy of the blocks and the final kinetic energy of the combined block system, along with the potential energy stored within the spring) simultaneously. Can someone verify (or disprove) my result?

Attachments

Answers and Replies

ehild
Homework Helper

Homework Statement

See the attached photo for the problem statement.

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

The provided solution is 25 cm. I obtain about 13.4 cm, however. I am using the conservation of linear momentum and the conservation of energy (between the initial kinetic energy of the blocks and the final kinetic energy of the combined block system, along with the potential energy stored within the spring) simultaneously. Can someone verify (or disprove) my result?
Holliday and Resnick are right and your result is wrong. Show your work in detail.

ehild