Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another hostage beheaded

1. Sep 20, 2004 #1

graphic7

Gold Member

Well, I know this is becoming pretty common, but I think creating a thread is the least that can be done for this fellow. While I feel sorry for what's happened in the middle east over the years, this sort of thing is becoming ridiculous. These guys know that we're not going to release any prisoners to save one to three people; I think they just enjoy the killing (perhaps revenge).

http://www.cnn.com/2004/WORLD/meast/09/20/iraq.main/index.html

Edit: It's interesting how they still refused to release the prisoners after the United States made a release telling them they had no female prisoners, except two women that were apart of Saddam's regime.

Last edited: Sep 20, 2004
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 20, 2004 #2
    Sadism and stupidity are a dangerous combination.

4. Sep 20, 2004 #3

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

I can't see how (a clean, one-stroke) beheading is a particularly sadistic way of executing individuals compared to other ways.
    By all probability, the sudden pressure drop in the blood vessels induced by severing the head would render the victim unconscious almost immediately.
    I.e, getting beheaded is probably (or at least, hopefully) a painless experience.
    Pigheadedness (stupidity&fanaticism) is dangerous enough.
    EDIT:
    In particular in combination with plain,old evil.

5. Sep 20, 2004 #4
    Getting beheaded is extremely dishonorable and simply, a sick way of dying.

As for the cowards that do the kidnapping and killing - it's quite clear that they want revenge. Not much of anything else.

I don't get why any European/Asian/American would go into the Middle East without a gun or another sort of weapon. Chances are that these people are targets.

6. Sep 20, 2004 #5

There's is a misconception that you have here. Yes , beheadings are painless.. if only the beheaders uses sharp weapons that slices through the neck quickly. However , the terrorists who are kidnapping these individuals aren't that humane. If you have watched the Nick Burg video , his captors did not use a sharp sword or knife , rather a dull and small one which took awhile to cut through.. obviously causing great pain. Using a supposedly merciful and humane method of execution doesn't mean that these terrorists are merciful.

7. Sep 20, 2004 #6

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Yeah whatever.
    It is however a silly (and dangerous!) misconception of regarding these individuals as being filled with sadistic glee, like fiends in human shapes.
    They are not.
    Perhaps you are unable to stomach the chilling truth that these individuals are persons with a fully developed morality system, who in all probability are devoted to their families.
    Evil men are rarely demons; most evil is wrought by ordinary people believing it's their right&duty to inflict pain on others (sanctioned/commanded by some value system).

8. Sep 20, 2004 #7
    Good thinking! I am sure these guys would appreciate your reasoning. Perhaps you should go and visit them and give them some phsychological counseling. I am sure they will send us the video.

A desparate man may kill. Killing alone would make their point. But these guys are not merely killing, they use a human being in a most atrocious way to send a message. The only way I can interpret this message is that they don't regard their victim as a human like them. Their motivation may ultimately be religious, but I don't care if it's religion or a mental disease that causes a person to commit such an act. Serial killers, sadists, or these guys: all the same bunch of creatures we don't need in our world.

9. Sep 20, 2004 #8

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since you're brainwashed into believing that ordinary individuals do not have the potential to do evil (and very often do, IMO), your thinking is worthless.

10. Sep 20, 2004 #9
    :bugeye:

The same could be said for Heinrich Himmler, who had a very sophisticated morality system. Are you going to defend Heinrich too?

11. Sep 20, 2004 #10
    I do not believe that. I would have to explain you a bit about evolutionary strategies, but that would take us too far here. Let's just say that people without the proper control mechanisms to function in a society, almost by definition place themselves outside that society. If you deny the existence of such a mechanism, then you deny civilization. Of course you can, but then we will discuss a different topic. Since my thinking is worthless for you however, there is nothing to discuss between us and I will leave you in your great wisdom.

12. Sep 20, 2004 #11

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Since you conveniently chose to ignore the fact that I called these actions evil and never once have "defended" these actions (this type of ignoring is a typical facet of brainwashing), I really don't see the point of debating this further (clearly, you're unable to)

And, as it happens, both H.Himmler and J.Goebbels (and thousands other Nazis) were upright citizens and good family fathers

13. Sep 20, 2004 #12
    Are the perpetrators of these actions evil? If not, your argument falls into "The Devil made me do it"?

14. Sep 20, 2004 #13

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Sure, lots of ordinary persons are IMO evil; most of them prefer to exercise their evil in less gross, and personally more profitable ways than terrorists do.

15. Sep 21, 2004 #14
    If you are trying to say that Bush is evil but men who saw off the heads of their live victims are not, then come out and say it and quit dancing around the subject.

Frankly, you sound like a terrorist sympathizer. Will you deny it?

Did you see the videotape of what they did to that poor man? DID YOU? If you can watch that and not understand how evil these men are, then you're as bad as they are.

16. Sep 21, 2004 #15

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Eeh, as I've said you're completely brainwashed.
    Yes, the terrorists are evil men.
    That banal fact doesn't make you any less brainwashed and incompetent in reading actual words I've written

17. Sep 21, 2004 #16
    First, you defend their manner of killing. (Oh, it isn't soooo cruel.)

Then you say that they are not sadistic, but ordinary Joes. (These are family guys, like Ralph and Alice.)

Do you have anything else to add?

18. Sep 21, 2004 #17

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

A) Defend?
    An act of killing like this is morally reprehensible and indefensible.
    I've never implied anything else.

B)
    Why are you so frightened at the thought that "ordinary Joes" can do evil, and be evil?
    This is a simple fact in the case of the great majority of fervent Nazis; there's no indication that these terrorists are any different from the Franz's and Hilda's in Nazi Germany.
    C) Read some history

19. Sep 21, 2004 #18
    I dont think you understand what an "ordinary Joe" is. If someone starts to do evil, hes just not called an ordinary Joe anymore. Just like you call whipped cream butter if you whip it too much. Thats just how the world works... you can change the meaning of words for yourself, just dont expect others to follow. If you have ever seen documentarys about serial killers or nazis, they "seem" like ordinary joes, but are exposed for what they truly are, sick evil barbarians.

Arildno i seriously suggest you watch this video, its available on a few sites (ogrish). THEN come back and talk about it. Its an extremely shocking video and i hope you can tell from the man's screaming and kicking while they saw thru all his nerves, that hes in great pain. I dont feel like going into details about whats its like to be killed that way cause its really not healthy to keep thinking about it, but they dont use a "big sword", rather something similar to an ordinary kitchenknife. I watched it because i wanted to know what i was talking about and im forever sorry for seeing it so im kinda in a dilemma if i really should advise you to watch it.

Last edited: Sep 21, 2004
  20. Sep 21, 2004 #19
    First off, arildno, I don't believe that terrorists are good fathers and mothers. I can only believe that they teach the same kind of hatred they harbour. You speak of brainwashing, apply that to those people you are defending. They aren't ordinary Joes, they are severely disfunctional people who cannot relate to society in an acceptable manner. Are you implying that this singleminded hatred of Westerners does not permeate their entire lives, including how they raise their family? You are the one who is fooling yourself.

21. Sep 21, 2004 #20

arildno

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member
    Dearly Missed

Wherever have you gotten your strange ideas that persons fully capable of empathic relations with some people cannot behave as beasts against others they regard as inferior?
    And secondly, wherever have I stated that such a person should be treated leniently by law for his/her criminal behaviour?
    (This seems to be your own opinion)
    Don't put words in my mouth.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?