Solving for Wave Function in an Infinite Square Well

In summary, the student is looking for a way to solve for the Hamiltonian in a problem where the eigenfunctions for the energy change with location. They are stuck because they are unsure of how to obtain the complete form of the Hamiltonian from only the initial condition.
silverthorne
Hi guys, this assignment is driving me nuts! Thank you very much for the help!

Homework Statement

Consider the infinite square well described by V=0, -a/2<x<a/x, and V=infinity otherwise. At t=0, the system is given by the equation

[tex]\Psi(x,0) = C_{1} \Psi_{1}(x) + C_{2} \Psi_{2}(x)[/tex]
[tex]\Psi(x,0) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos\left \frac{\pi x}{a} \right + \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left \frac{2 \pi x}{a} \right[/tex]

(a) Obtain [tex]\Psi (x,t)[/tex]
(b) Use this [tex]\Psi (x,t)[/tex] to calculate <H>, delta H, <x> and <p>.
(c) What can you say about the result you obtained from part (b). Explain.

Homework Equations

[tex]\psi(x,0)=\sum_{n=1}^{\infty}c_n\psi_n(x)[/tex]

[tex] \psi_{n}(x)= \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left \frac{n \pi x}{a} \right[/tex]

[tex]E_{n}=\frac{n^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]

[tex]c_{n}=\int_{0}^{a} \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left \frac{n \pi x}{a} \right \psi(x,0)dx[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

Um...this problem is kind of similar to the infinite well problem posted below earlier...I want to know if the formulae up there are the right one to use first...before I blindly apply it and do the integrals...

the second term in the wave function looks like an eigenfunction for the energy...but the first one is a cosine so I am not sure what to do there...do I need to...split them up?

The equations above are for the infinite well from o to a...but this question is from -a/2 to a/2...so I am not sure if the eigenfunctions [tex]\Psi(x)[/tex] change ...:cry:

I also know [tex]\Psi (x,t)[/tex]can be obtained from multiplying [tex]\Psi (x,0)[/tex]by the appropriate phase factor once the [tex]\Psi_{n} (x,0)[/tex] is written as a linear combination of the energy eigenfunctions...but then there's the cosine in the first term...:mad: :confused:

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
In this case, both cosine and sine forms are eigenfunctions of the energy operator. This is because we no longer have the boundary conditions [tex]\Psi(0,0) = \Psi(a,0) = 0[/tex].

I would think the complete form [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] is easily obtained from the initial condition by simply appending the time-dependence factor to [tex]\Psi(x,0)[/tex] to yield [tex]\Psi(x,t) = \Psi(x,0) \exp{\left( \frac{iEt}{\hbar} \right)}[/tex]. But then again, I'm one of your fellow students who also needs to get this done by Monday 12:00h.

Moreover, once you have [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex], the rest of the question is very easy. You know what the Hamiltonian operator simplifies to in this case (I'm assuming "delta H" refers to the variance [tex]\sigma[/tex] and not the standard deviation).

Ah...thanks! Yes, I forgot the fact that the reason why only the sines are the eigenfunctions is because of the initial conditions! So yeah, the cosine here works just fine. So I guess it's just [tex]\Psi(x,t) = \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}cos\left \frac{\pi x}{a} \right \exp{\left( \frac{iE_{0} t}{\hbar} \right)}+ \frac{1}{\sqrt{2}} \sqrt{\frac{2}{a}}sin\left \frac{2 \pi x}{a} \right \exp{\left( \frac{iE_{1} t}{\hbar} \right)}[/tex], with [tex]E_{0}=\frac{\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/tex] and [tex]E_{1}=\frac{2^2\pi^2\hbar^2}{2ma^2}[/tex]?

Last edited:
This is very strange. If we run with the assumption that the time-dependence factor can be tacked on so primitively, then the expected value of the Hamiltonian is a function of time.

I see no other way to derive the time-dependent form of [tex]\Psi(x,t)[/tex] from only [tex]\Psi(x,0)[/tex].

Um...well, I am stuck then if we can't just tack on the exponential factor. :confused: How should I go about in doing this problem?

Sorry, maybe it does work. I just tried solving for [tex]\langle H \rangle[/tex] in both Maple and Maxima, and the two CASs give different results. Maple gives a single value, but I think Maxima is unable to simplify the final expression to that value.

EDIT: My mistake. Maxima is able to simplify the expression perfectly. The input was wrong.

Last edited:
It's ok! So I guess the answer to part a is as above...

Anyway, I very much appreciate your help!

1. What is an infinite square well?

An infinite square well is a theoretical model used in quantum mechanics to describe the behavior of a particle confined within a potential well with infinitely high walls. It is often used to represent the behavior of an electron in an atom.

2. How does an infinite square well work?

An infinite square well works by confining a particle within a potential well with infinitely high walls, creating a finite region in which the particle can exist. This results in the particle having discrete energy levels, rather than a continuous energy spectrum.

3. What is the significance of the infinite square well in quantum mechanics?

The infinite square well is significant in quantum mechanics as it serves as a simple model for understanding the behavior of particles in confined spaces. It also illustrates the concept of quantization, where the energy levels of particles are discrete rather than continuous.

4. What are the limitations of the infinite square well model?

The infinite square well model has limitations in that it is a simplified representation of real-world systems. It assumes infinitely high potential walls, which is not physically possible, and does not take into account other factors such as particle interactions and external forces.

5. How is the infinite square well model used in practical applications?

While the infinite square well model may not accurately represent real-world systems, it is still used in practical applications such as predicting the behavior of electrons in semiconductors and understanding the properties of quantum dots. It also serves as a starting point for more complex models used in quantum mechanics research.