Integral of Sin over Exponential: Solutions

• MHB
  • Thread starter alyafey22
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, we discussed two different approaches to solving the integral \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \, dx . The first approach involved contour integration and resulted in the summation \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2} , while the second approach used complex analysis to obtain the series \sum_{k \geq 1}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}=\frac{\pi \coth( \pi a) }{2a} -\frac{1}{2a} . These solutions were derived under the assumption that |a| < 2
alyafey22
Gold Member
MHB
\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \, dx \)

Mathematics news on Phys.org
The integral can be solved by contour integration but I made a mistake somewhere , anyways the following approach is somehow a transformation to the contour to famous one .

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \, dx \)

Let \(\displaystyle t = 2 \pi x\)

\(\displaystyle
\begin{align*}

\frac{1}{2\pi }\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin \left(\frac{at}{2\pi } \right) }{e^{t}-1} \, dt &=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}\frac{(-1)^n}{\Gamma(2n+2)}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{ \left(\frac{at}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1} }{e^{t}-1} \, dt \\
\\

&=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}\frac{(-1)^n \left(\frac{a}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1}}{\Gamma(2n+2)}\int^{\infty}_0 \frac{t^{2n+1} }{e^{t}-1} \, dt \\

&=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}\frac{(-1)^n \left(\frac{a}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1} \Gamma (2n+2)\zeta(2n+2)}{\Gamma(2n+2)} \\

&=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}(-1)^n \left(\frac{a}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1}\zeta(2n+2)\\

&=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}(-1)^n \left(\frac{a}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1}\sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^{2n+2}}\\

&=\frac{1}{2\pi }\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2}\sum^{\infty}_{n =0}(-1)^n \frac{\left(\frac{a}{2\pi } \right)^{2n+1} }{k^{2n}}\\

&=\frac{a}{4\pi^2 } \sum_{k=1}^{\infty} \frac{1}{k^2} \sum^{\infty}_{n =0}\left( -\frac{a^2}{4\pi^2 k^2 } \right)^n \\

&=\frac{a}{4\pi^2 }\sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{1}{k^2(1+\frac{a^2}{4\pi^2 k^2})} \\

&= \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}\\

\end{align*}\)

\(\displaystyle \int^{\infty}_0 \frac{\sin(ax)}{e^{2\pi x}-1} \, dx = \sum_{k=1}^{\infty}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2} \)If anyone wants to try this sum , otherwise I will solve it in the next thread .

My solution is based on that \(\displaystyle |a|<2 \pi \) . I will try to find a general solution.

The series...$$\sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a}{n^{2} + a^{2}}\ (1)$$... can be computed finding the Fourier series expansion of the function $\cosh ax$ in $[-\pi,\pi]$ obtaining... $$\cosh ax = \frac{\sinh \pi a}{\pi\ a} + 2\ a\ \frac{\sinh \pi a}{\pi}\ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{\cos n \pi}{n^{2} + a^{2}}\ \cos n x\ (2)$$

... and setting in (2) $x=\pi$ we obtain...

$$ \sum_{n=1}^{\infty} \frac{a}{n^{2} + a^{2}} = \frac{\pi}{2} (\coth \pi a - \frac{1}{\pi\ a})\ (3)$$

Kind regards

$\chi$ $\sigma$

The other way is using complex analysis

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k=-\infty}^{\infty }\frac{a}{k^2+a^2} =- \text{Res}\left(\frac{a \pi \cot ( \pi z) }{z^2+a^2} ;\pm ai \right)\)\(\displaystyle \sum_{k \leq -1}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}+ \frac{1}{a}+ \sum_{k \geq 1}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}=- \frac{\pi \cot(a \pi i)}{2ai}-\frac{\pi \cot(-a \pi i)}{-2ai}\)\(\displaystyle \frac{1}{a}+ 2 \sum_{k \geq 1}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}=- \frac{\pi \coth(a \pi i)}{2ai}-\frac{\pi \cot(a\pi i )}{2ai}=-2\frac{\pi \cot(a\pi i )}{2ai} = \frac{\pi \coth( \pi a) }{a} \)

\(\displaystyle \sum_{k \geq 1}\frac{a}{k^2+a^2}=\frac{\pi \coth( \pi a) }{2a} -\frac{1}{2a}\)

1. What is the definition of an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the area under a curve. It is used to calculate the total amount of a quantity, such as distance or volume, over a given interval.

2. How do you solve an integral of sin over exponential?

To solve an integral of sin over exponential, you can use the substitution method by letting u = the exponential term and du = the derivative of u. Then, you can use trigonometric identities to convert the remaining integral into a form that can be easily solved.

3. What is the purpose of finding the integral of sin over exponential?

The purpose of finding the integral of sin over exponential is to calculate the total area under the curve of the function. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the displacement of a moving object or finding the total amount of a substance in a chemical reaction.

4. What are some common techniques for solving integrals?

Some common techniques for solving integrals include substitution, integration by parts, and using trigonometric identities. It is important to also have a good understanding of basic integration rules and properties, such as the power rule and the constant multiple rule.

5. Are there any special cases when solving integrals of sin over exponential?

Yes, there are special cases when solving integrals of sin over exponential, particularly when the exponential term is raised to a power or there are multiple trigonometric functions involved. In these cases, it may be necessary to use more advanced techniques, such as partial fractions or trigonometric substitutions, to solve the integral.