Solve the Integral: \int\frac{9x}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}}dx

• Thread starter G01
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, the person is trying to integrate a quadratic equation and is having trouble because it is difficult to simplify the equation. They try to do it in a different way and it works out.
G01
Homework Helper
Gold Member
This one has me stumped.

[tex] \int\frac{9x}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}}dx[/tex]

I've tried completeing the square in the root and using trig substitution, but that made it really complicated. Also tried to rationalize the denominator, but to know avail. Any hints?

Physics news on Phys.org
G01 said:
This one has me stumped.

[tex] \int\frac{9x}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}}dx[/tex]

I've tried completeing the square in the root and using trig substitution, but that made it really complicated. Also tried to rationalize the denominator, but to know avail. Any hints?

There might be a fancier way, but try this:
[tex]\int\frac{9x}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}}dx[/tex]

[tex]=\int \frac{9x}{\sqrt x \sqrt{6-x}}dx[/tex]

[tex]= \int \frac{9 \sqrt x}{\sqrt{6-x}} dx[/tex]

Then use a substitution: [tex]y = \sqrt{6-x}[/tex]. You should get a form that you can do a trig substitution on.

-Dan

We want to change the numerator into something "nicer", so the integration will be easier. Try this...

[tex] \frac{9x}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}} = (\frac{-9}{2}) (\frac{(6-2x)-6}{\sqrt{6x-x^2}}) [/tex]

Last edited:
ok i got this does this seem right?

[tex] 54\sin^{-1}(\frac{\sqrt{6-x}}{\sqrt{6}}) + \frac{\sqrt{x^2 - 6x}}{6} + C [/tex]

wait I am trying your way now pizzaky

got it your way pizzaky, that was very easy. I am pretty sure its right.

So basically, if the expression you need to integrate is of the form [tex] \frac{linear}{quadratic} or \frac{linear}{\sqrt{quadratic}} [/tex], we try to get something like the differentiated version of the quadratic expression into the numerator.

Remember to add a factor in front of the numerator (in this case [tex]\frac{-9}{2}[/tex]) so that your numerator will consist of the differentiated version of the denominator and only a constant, which makes integration easier.

By the way, is your final answer the same as what you wrote above?

Last edited:
Completing the square and using the substitution [itex] x=3\sin t +3 [/itex] is a very elegant way to do it...

Daniel.

1. What is the method for solving this integral?

The method for solving this integral is called substitution.

2. What is the substitution used for solving this integral?

The substitution used for solving this integral is u = 6x-x^2. This allows us to rewrite the integral in terms of u, making it easier to solve.

3. How do you find the value of u?

To find the value of u, we can use the quadratic formula to solve for x in terms of u. Then, we substitute this expression into the integral and proceed with solving.

4. What are the limits of integration for this integral?

The limits of integration for this integral depend on the original limits of integration for x. After finding the value of u, we can use it to find the new limits of integration for u by plugging in the original limits for x.

5. Can this integral be solved without using substitution?

No, this integral cannot be solved without using substitution. This is because the expression inside the integral is not in a form that can be solved using any other method.