Solving Integral: cot(x)/sin(x)

• Thread starter Ornum
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integral
In summary, Paul suggests trying integration by parts to see if the integral is in a standard form before trying to solve it.
Ornum
Hello again people, thank you for the help I received on the last integral I posted here but never got around to replying to, the help was much appreciated. However I've encountered another integral which for some reason I just cannot seem to solve, being:

[itex]\int \frac{\cot x}{\sin x}\,dx[/itex]

If anyone can aid me in solving this I would be very glad. Thanks in advance.

Physics news on Phys.org
This might help you to see it:

[tex]
{d \over {dx}}({1 \over {f(x)}}) = {{ - f'(x)} \over {f(x)^2 }}
[/tex]

Ornum said:
Hello again people, thank you for the help I received on the last integral I posted here but never got around to replying to, the help was much appreciated. However I've encountered another integral which for some reason I just cannot seem to solve, being:

[itex]\int \frac{\cot x}{\sin x}\,dx[/itex]

If anyone can aid me in solving this I would be very glad. Thanks in advance.
In many situations, it's really simple just to express everything in terms of sine and cosine:

[itex]\int \frac{\cos x}{\sin ^2 x}\,dx[/itex]

Let [itex]u = \sin x[/itex], therefore [itex]dx = du/\cos x[/itex]. Making the substitution:

[itex]\int \frac{du}{u^2} = -u^{-1} + C = -\csc x + C[/itex]

Thank you very much, now you've just shown me I cannot believe how I missed that, however that tends to be how it always is. :wink:

I always get frustrated when something was staring me in the face but I couldn't see it. That's why I thought a hint may be of more help that the 'full' solution.

Paul. :wink:

I'd always get frustrated when I couldn't see something staring me in the face. That's why I thought a hint may be of more help that the 'full' solution.

Paul. :wink:

or u can write the above integrl as

INTEGRAL OF cosx cosec(sqr)x

take cosec(sqr)x as 2nd function and integrate by parts ...gives u answer instantly...

Some general advice: after you have an integral in a "standard looking form" (not even a standard form, for you wouldn't be reading my advice if it were in a standard form) try integration by parts keeping the ILATE rule in mind

I = inverse trigonometric function
L = logarithmic function
A = algebraic function
T = trigonometric function
E = exponential function

This order gives you an idea of which function to chose as u and which to chose v, when you wish to evaluate the integral [tex]\int u dv[/tex].

[tex]
\int udv = uv - \int vdu
[/tex]

By the way, Dr. Brain are you from India? My guess is that you're in class 11/12. Correct me if I am wrong ;-)

1. What is an integral?

An integral is a mathematical concept that represents the calculation of the area under a curve in a given interval. It is the inverse operation of differentiation and is used to find the original function when the derivative is known.

2. What is the specific integral for cot(x)/sin(x)?

The specific integral for cot(x)/sin(x) is ∫cot(x)/sin(x) dx = ∫csc(x) dx = -ln|csc(x) + cot(x)| + C.

3. How do you solve an integral?

To solve an integral, you can use various methods such as substitution, integration by parts, trigonometric identities, or partial fractions. You can also use online integral calculators or consult a table of integrals to find the appropriate solution.

4. What is the domain and range of cot(x)/sin(x)?

The domain of cot(x)/sin(x) is all real numbers except for the values of x that make sin(x) = 0, which are x = kπ, where k is any integer. The range is also all real numbers.

5. Can you provide a real-life example where solving an integral for cot(x)/sin(x) would be useful?

An example where solving an integral for cot(x)/sin(x) would be useful is in the field of electrical engineering. The integral can be used to calculate the voltage across a capacitor in an AC circuit, where the current is represented by cot(x)/sin(x). This information is crucial for designing and analyzing electronic circuits.