Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another integration problem

1. Apr 4, 2004 #1
    the integral of tan^3(x^2)sec^4(x^2) dx

I've tried many different methods: getting rid of x^2, splitting up tan^3(x^2) and using the double angle formula, but for some reason it's not working for me. If someone would show me how to set it up it would be greatly appreciated.

2. jcsd
  3. Apr 4, 2004 #2
    anyone have any ideas?

4. Apr 4, 2004 #3
    Since tan=sin/cos and sec=1/cos express your integral as:

sin^3(x^2)
    ----------- dx
    cos^7(x^2)

Now substitute in u=x^2 and integrate with respect to u (be careful here; don't forget to switch between dx and du!)

Hopefully that will get you started.

PS. Can someone show me how to use Tex here?

5. Apr 4, 2004 #4

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I put that into Maple and it gave me an answer (probably by parts) that is 8 lines long and has an integral at the end. Whatever you do, don't try to integrate it by parts.

I tried to post the output latex but it doesn't work properly.

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  6. Apr 4, 2004 #5
    But see, if you have u=x^2, you get du=2x dx or 1/2du=x dx which doesn't replace anything in the function.

7. Apr 4, 2004 #6
    du = 2x dx

u = x^2, so x = sqrt(u), therefore

du = 2sqrt(u) dx
    dx = du/(2sqrt(u))

Which can be substituted in, but that doesn't simplify the integral a whole lot. Mathematica still can't do it.

Just out of curiosity, where do you get these things?

cookiemonster

8. Apr 4, 2004 #7

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Last edited: Apr 4, 2004
  9. Apr 4, 2004 #8
    It's a take-home quiz i have for my college calc II class

10. Apr 4, 2004 #9

ShawnD

Science Advisor

I don't think that integrator even works. Here is what I input:

[tex]\int sin^3(x^2) dx[/tex]

Here is what it says the answer is

[tex]\frac{1}{3}sin^3(x^3)[/tex]

I don't believe that for a second. Here is what Maple says the answer is

[tex]-1/24\,\sqrt {2}\sqrt {\pi }\sqrt {3}{\it FresnelS} \left( {\frac {
    \sqrt {2}\sqrt {3}x}{\sqrt {\pi }}} \right) +3/8\,\sqrt {2}\sqrt {\pi
    }{\it FresnelS} \left( {\frac {\sqrt {2}x}{\sqrt {\pi }}} \right)[/tex]

11. Apr 4, 2004 #10

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Yes it does work it just has a temperamental input system.

When integrating [itex] \sin^3 x^2[/itex] you need to input exactly:

(Sin[x^2])^3

And gives the answer:

[tex]\frac{1}{4} \sqrt{\frac{\pi}{6}} \left( 3 \sqrt{3} {\it FresnelS} \left[ \sqrt{ \frac{2}{\pi} } x \right] - {\it FresnelS} \left[\sqrt{ \frac{6}{\pi} } x \right] \right) [/tex]

I only just worked this out my above answer was wrong.

12. Apr 4, 2004 #11
    wow, that's a weird looking answer...

13. Apr 4, 2004 #12
    They're seriously giving this problem to you for a Calc II class? What kind of material are you covering?

cookiemonster

14. Apr 5, 2004 #13
    I am not totally sure about this, but cant you use trigonometric integrals to solve this problem. Since its a Calc II class, i think it might be the way to do this. I also think that all Calc II books have a rule when you have tan and sec in a integral, and if i recall correctly, you can sub in tan^2(x^2). I will actually look at this problem in a bit..but you can give this a shot.

15. Apr 5, 2004 #14
    The problem is the x^2 inside the trig functions.

cookiemonster

16. Apr 5, 2004 #15

Zurtex

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Well I've been trying some wacky substitutions but the best I have so far is:

[tex] - \int \frac{1-v^2}{v^7} \sqrt{ \arccos (v) } dv [/tex]

17. Apr 5, 2004 #16

ShawnD

Science Advisor

The best I've managed to do is turn everything into tan.
    sec^2 (x) = 1 + tan^2(x)

Therefore,

[tex]\int \tan^3(x^2) \sec^4(x^2) dx= \int \tan^3(x^2) [1 + \tan^2(x^2)]^2 dx[/tex]

[tex]\int \tan^3(x^2) + 2 \tan^5(x^2) + \tan^7(x^2) dx[/tex]

It doesn't seem to be going anywhere since Maple outputs 8 lines of useless garbage; just like the original form.
    Has anybody tried partial fractions yet?

18. Apr 5, 2004 #17
    So far we've covered u-sub, trig sub, integration by parts, and trig intergals. With these types of problems I'm suppose to approach it by breaking up the odd powered trig function and sub in the even powered one. So for example on this one I would have something like:

(sec^2 x^2 -1) tan x^2 sec^4(x^2) dx but again, the x^2 is messing the whole thing up. If it wasn't there I would simply have u=sec^2 (x) and du=tan x and that would make it alot easier.

Last edited: Apr 5, 2004
  19. Apr 5, 2004 #18
    Heh, I guess the only other thing I can say is are you sure that those x^2's weren't really x2's? :wink:

cookiemonster

20. Apr 5, 2004 #19
    No, they're x^2...would it make the integration any easier if I have the limits of integration? It's a definite integration problem so the function is from the interval of sqrt(pi/6) and sqrt(pi/4).

21. Apr 5, 2004 #20

NateTG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

How about:
    [tex]\int \tan^3(x^2) \sec^4(x^2) dx= \int \tan^3(x^2) \sec^2(x^2) (1+\tan^2(x^2)) \dx[/tex]
    [tex]\int \tan^3(x^2) \sec^2(x^2) dx+ \int \tan^5(x^2) \sec^2(x^2) dx[/tex]
    Now it would be nice if we had [tex]2x[/tex] in the integrals.
    [tex]\int \tan^3(x^2) \sec^2(x^2) \times 2x \times \frac{1}{2x} dx+ \int \tan^5(x^2) \sec^2(x^2) dx[/tex]
    so
    [tex] \frac{\tan^4(x^2)}{8x} + \int \frac{\tan^4(x^2)}{2x^2}dx + \frac{\tan^6(x^2)}{12x} + \int \frac{\tan^6(x^2)}{2x^2}dx[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\tan^4(x^2)}{8x} + \frac{\tan^6(x^2)}{12x} + \frac{1}{2}\int \frac{\tan^4(x^2)+\tan^6(x^2)}{x^2}dx [/tex]
    Now let's try [tex]x=\sqrt{\arctan \theta}[/tex],[tex]dx=\frac{1}{(1+\theta^2)2\sqrt{\arctan \theta}}[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\tan^4(x^2)}{8x} + \frac{\tan^6(x^2)}{12x} + \frac{1}{2} \int \frac{(1+\theta^2)\theta^4}{2\arctan^{\frac{3}{2}}\theta (1+\theta^2)}d\theta[/tex]
    [tex] \frac{\tan^4(x^2)}{8x} + \frac{\tan^6(x^2)}{12x} + \frac{1}{4} \int \frac{\theta^4}{\arctan^{\frac{3}{2}}\theta} d\theta[/tex]

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?