Integrating \frac{1}{x^2+4} - Solution

• Thread starter frozen7
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Integration
In summary: There's a reason for all of the arctans. The integral is trying to integrate the function arctan(x), which is defined as:\arctan(x) = arctan(y) = arctan(x + y) = arctan(y + x)When you use the arctan function, you're integrating over all possible angles. So, for a given argument x, you'll get different results depending on which angle you use it in.
frozen7
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2 +4} [/tex] How to integrate this without knowing the derivatives of inverse function?

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
If you don't know about an anti-derivative of the integrand, or are unable to transform your integrand in such a manner that an anti-derivative becomes apparent, then the fundamental theorem of calculus is of minor use to you in that particular case in the evaluation of your integral.

I think he/she is asking whether you need to know inverse trig derivatives/integrals to do this problem. You don't need to know the derivative of inverse trigonometric functions to do this problem, however you need to know about trig substitutions, if you can do trig substitutions then this integral can be done in two steps, one is a regular substitution that gets it in a form such as 1/(u^2 +1) and another trig substitution after that.

frozen7 said:
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2 +4} [/tex] How to integrate this without knowing the derivatives of inverse function?
You can use some basic algebra and the method of partial fractions..
If you facter (x^2 + 4) you get (x + 2i)(x - 2i) where i is the complex number, sqrt(-1).
From there you can decompose 1/(x^2 + 4) into two fractions:

1/(x^2 + 4) = A/(x + 2i) + B/(x - 2i)

And you'll end up with a complex logarithm as the answer-- which will fit the definition of arctan, if I'm not mistaken. (Or something like that)

Either way plugging numbers in will still get you the same results as the real answer. :)

what said:
this integral can be done in two steps, one is a regular substitution that gets it in a form such as 1/(u^2 +1) and another trig substitution after that.

Could you explain further?

I'll assume you can do the first step, then use the trig substitution x = tan(θ). Remember after you have your answer you have to get it back in terms of x, your answer will be in terms of theta.

Edit: forgot a comma and a then, it might make it confusing.

Last edited:
what said:
I'll assume you can do the first step, then use the trig substitution x = tan(θ). Remember after you have your answer you have to get it back in terms of x, your answer will be in terms of theta.
Edit: forgot a comma and a then, it might make it confusing.
Are you sure the substitution is [itex]x = \tan \theta[/itex]?
@frozen7:
You should look it up in your textbook or try here
So, what's the substitution? Is it [itex]x = \tan \theta[/itex]? Or what is it?

in the integral, you're missing the dx.

draw a triangle, it should help you see which values to substitute.

Last edited:
frozen7 said:

If you know integral of inverse function it's easy.
At first [tex]\int \frac 1 {x^2+1} dx = \arctan(x)[/tex]

Now put [tex]u=2x[/tex] and you'll get

[tex] \frac 1 8 \int \frac 1 {u^2+1} du = 1/8 \arctan(2x)[/tex]

Last edited:
maverick, the substitution is not u=2x but u=x/2

[tex]du = \frac{dx}{2}[/tex]
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2+4} = \frac{1}{4(\frac{x^2}{4} + 1)} = \frac{1}{4( ( \frac{x}{2} )^2 + 1)}[/tex]

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
maverick, the substitution is not u=2x but u=x/2
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2+4} = \frac{1}{4(\frac{x^2}{4} + 1)}[/tex]
marlon

oh my bad! Thank you! I'm a bit euphoric because my favorite female speed skater Tomomi Okazaki was chosen for Trino Olympic :smile:

Then correction:

[tex] \frac 1 2 \int \frac 1 {u^2+1} du = \arctan(x/2)[/tex]

hm, this looks smarter.

Last edited:
maverick6664 said:
oh my bad! Thank you!
Then correction:
[tex] \frac 1 2 \int \frac 1 {u^2+1} du = \arctan(x/2)[/tex]

I don't want to be whinning but the right hand side of your equation is not correct either. You are forgetting something :)

marlon

marlon said:
I don't want to be whinning but the right hand side of your equation is not correct either. You are forgetting something :)
marlon

ooops! lol

[tex]1/2 \arctan(x/2)[/tex]

maybe i need sleep. It's 3:30am.

maverick6664 said:
maybe i need sleep. It's 3:30am.

Aha, that happens to me too.

Here in Western Europe it's 19.30 pm and i am looking foreward to attend the SAW2 premiere tonight.

OOHH YES, THERE WILL BE BLOOD

Sleep well :)

marlon

Last edited:
marlon said:
Aha, that happens to me too.
Here in Western Europe it's 19.30 pm and i am looking foreward to attend the SAW2 premiere tonight.
OOHH YES, THERE WILL BE BLOOD
Sleep well :)
marlon

Got up now..but it's still 7:40am..I'll sleep again.. :smile: New Years day my family will pay first visit to a nearby shrine and my father's grave, and from Jan.2 I'll be "Home alone" because my wife and daughters will be in my wife's home town for nearly a week. Still sleepy... nite... (looks like I'm hijacking this thread..:biggrin: this is a users' forum...) zzzzz...

What's up with all of the arctans? Why not be frank with the function and do what you got to do... use partial fractions!?

Pseudo Statistic said:
What's up with all of the arctans? Why not be frank with the function and do what you got to do... use partial fractions!?
Because
[tex]\int \frac 1 {u^2+a^2} du = \frac 1 {a} \arctan( \frac u {a} ) + C[/tex]

Last edited:
Pseudo Statistic said:

Because than you would be needing complex functions. That's against the rules if the calculus must remain "real"...

[tex]\frac{1}{x^2+a^2} = \frac{1}{x+ia}\frac{1}{x-ia} [/tex]

marlon

Here is the solution i was hinting at, without knowing the derivative of inverse tangent...
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+4} dx \ u = x/2 \ du =1/2 dx
[/tex]
[tex]1/2 \int \frac{1}{u^2+1} du \ u =\tan(\theta) \ du = \sec^2(\theta) d\theta
[/tex]
[tex]= 1/2 \int \frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{\tan^2(\theta) +1} d\theta = 1/2 \int \frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{\sec^2(\theta)} d\theta = 1/2 \int 1 \ d\theta
[/tex]
[tex]= 1/2(\theta + C)[/tex]
Now we have to bring back in terms of x so we use the way we defined the substitutions to help us..
[tex] \theta = \arctan(u) = \arctan(x/2)[/tex]
therefore...
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+4} dx = 1/2\arctan(x/2) +C [/tex]

Last edited:
marlon said:
Because than you would be needing complex functions. That's against the rules if the calculus must remain "real"...
[tex]\frac{1}{x^2+a^2} = \frac{1}{x+ia}\frac{1}{x-ia} [/tex]
marlon
It will-- you could then convert back to arctan using the definition of the function from Oiler's formula... the final answer will always be real wherever arctan is defined as real.. so why not?

Pseudo Statistic said:
It will-- you could then convert back to arctan using the definition of the function from Oiler's formula... the final answer will always be real wherever arctan is defined as real.. so why not?

Because I doubt the original poster would know how to do that.

what said:
Here is the solution i was hinting at, without knowing the derivative of inverse tangent...
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+4} dx \ u = x/2 \ du =1/2 dx
[/tex]
[tex]1/2 \int \frac{1}{u^2+1} du \ u =\tan(\theta) \ du = \sec^2(\theta) d\theta
[/tex]
[tex]= 1/2 \int \frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{\tan^2(\theta) +1} d\theta = 1/2 \int \frac{\sec^2(\theta)}{\sec^2(\theta)} d\theta = 1/2 \int 1 \ d\theta
[/tex]
[tex]= 1/2(\theta + C)[/tex]
Now we have to bring back in terms of x so we use the way we defined the substitutions to help us..
[tex] \theta = \arctan(u) = \arctan(x/2)[/tex]
therefore...
[tex]\int \frac{1}{x^2+4} dx = 1/2\arctan(x/2) +C [/tex]

that's the answer that i got, too

Pseudo Statistic said:

How would you do that and still get rid of the complex variable ?
marlon

1. What is the purpose of integrating 1/x2+4?

The purpose of integrating 1/x2+4 is to find the area under the curve of the function 1/x2+4. This can be useful in various applications, such as calculating the work done by a force or finding the displacement of an object over time.

2. What is the process of integrating 1/x2+4?

The process of integrating 1/x2+4 involves using integration techniques, such as substitution or partial fractions, to simplify the function and then applying the rules of integration to find the antiderivative. This will result in an expression that represents the area under the curve.

3. What are the limits of integration for 1/x2+4?

The limits of integration for 1/x2+4 can vary depending on the specific problem or application. Generally, the limits will be specified by the given problem or can be determined by considering the context of the problem. The lower limit will typically be a constant value, while the upper limit may be a variable or a constant.

4. What are some real-life applications of integrating 1/x2+4?

Integrating 1/x2+4 can be applied in various fields such as physics, engineering, and economics. For example, it can be used to determine the work done by a variable force, the displacement of a moving object, or the profit generated by a business over time.

5. Can 1/x2+4 be integrated using any other methods?

Yes, 1/x2+4 can also be integrated using numerical methods such as the trapezoidal rule or Simpson's rule. These methods are useful when the antiderivative of the function cannot be found using traditional integration techniques. However, these methods may not always provide an exact solution and may require more computational power.