1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another inverse problem!

1. Sep 14, 2003 #1
    i keep getting stuck on these inverse problems...

the question is

let f(x)=5+2x+5e^x

i keep messing up on these problems and now im not really sure where exactly 2 start...i know i gotta find the inverse but i would appreciate some help on getting started on this problem.....thx
  2. jcsd
  3. Sep 15, 2003 #2

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

There is no way to algebraically find the inverse function to f(x)- not with x both in the exponent and as a base.

However, the problem does NOT ask you to find "f-1", it only asks you to find "f-1(10)".

Can you think of a value of x such that f(x)= 10 and what does that have to do with the problem?
  4. Sep 15, 2003 #3
    well....f(x)=10 when x=0
    but i dont c ne relation btwn that and the inverse...
  5. Sep 15, 2003 #4

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Then I think we've discovered WHY you keep "getting stuck on these inverse problems"!! That's the DEFINITION of inverse!

Two functions (call them f and g) are "inverse" to each other (here's the "formal" definition) if and only if f(g(x))= x and g(f(x))= x for all x.

If f(x)= y, then f-1(f(x))= f-1(y)= x.

Since f(0)= 10, f-1(10)= 0.

Whenever f(a)= b, then f-1(b)= a.

if f: x-> y then f-1y-> x
  6. Sep 15, 2003 #5
    thats it?....how come it looks so simple now?....neways thx 4 clearing things up!...
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?