1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Kinematics 1-D

1. Jan 19, 2012 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Two people start from rest at 88m apart and walk directly toward each other. Person A has a magnitude of .3m/s^2, while person B has a magnitude of .2m/^2. Relative to person A's starting point, where do the people coincide?

2. Relevant equations
    How to determine collision point?

3. The attempt at a solution
    I've tried find the total time it takes for each to cover the 88m. then take those values and switch them between A & B. Otherwise i'm stuck.

2. jcsd
  3. Jan 19, 2012 #2

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

But each does not cover 88 m. They meet somewhere in between A and B, and arrive there at the same elapsed time.

4. Jan 19, 2012 #3
    So t1=t2 . Would velocity be calculated for A & B? and then find the displacement for each?

5. Jan 19, 2012 #4

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

It would be easier to write an equation to show how far A moves during t1, and how far B moves during time t1. Note that if A moves x meters during that time, then B moves 88-x meters during the time it takes them to meet.

6. Jan 19, 2012 #5
    ok makes sense. however, i do not understand how to utilize the accelerations? would the equation look like this: x/.3=88-x/.2?

7. Jan 20, 2012 #6

PhanthomJay

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

No, use the kinematic equation that relates distance as a function of acceleration and time.....

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook