1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another kinematics problem solved at the last second

1. Aug 17, 2004 #1
    I am [make that: WAS] having difficulties solving Problem 87 from Chapter 2 of Physics for Scientists and Engineers by Paul A. Tipler, 4th edition. The statement of the problem is as follows:

Ball A is dropped from the top of a building at the same instant that ball B is thrown vertically upward from the ground. When the balls collide, they are moving in opposite directions, and the speed of A is twice the speed of B. At what fraction of the height of the building does the collision occur?

My incomplete [<Ahem> Make that: COMPLETE] attempt at a solution goes as follows:

We denote the height of the building as h, the position of ball A as yA, the initial position of ball A as yA0, and analogously for ball B.

The equation of motion for ball A is the following:
    yA - yA0 = vA0t - (0.5)gt2
    yA0 = h
    vA0 = 0
    g = 9.81 m/s2
    Therefore, yA = -(0.5)(9.81 m/s2)t2 + h
    => yA = -4.905t2 + h

The equation of motion for ball B is the following:
    yB - yB0 = vB0t - (0.5)gt2
    yB0 = 0
    g = 9.81 m/s2
    Therefore, yB = vB0t - (0.5)(9.81 m/s2)t2
    => yB = vB0t - 4.905t2

The two balls collide when yA = yB:

yA = yB => -4.905t2 + h = vB0t - 4.905t2
    => h = vB0t

For ball A:
    vA = vA0 - gt
    vA0 = 0
    Therefore, vA = - gt => vA = -9.81t

For ball B:
    vB = vB0 - gt
    Therefore, vB = vB0 - gt => vB = vB0 - 9.81t

We also know that when yA = yB, vA = -2vB:

vA = -2vB => -9.81t = -2[vB0 - 9.81t]
    => -9.81t = -2vB0 + 19.62t
    => 2vB0 = 29.43t
    => vB0 = 14.715t

Since h = vB0t, we have:

h = (14.715t)t = 14.715t2

Unfortunately, I couldn't figure out what to do from this point until I spent the better part of the last hour typing this thread. :grumpy: Then, as I was typing the previous sentence, it hit me:

xA = -4.905t2 + h = -4.905t2 + 14.715t2
    => xA = 9.81t2

Therefore, xA / h = 9.81t2 / (14.715t2)
    => xA / h = 2/3
    => xA = 2h/3
    , which is the answer given in the back of the book.

I've decided to post this thread anyway, partly because someone else might benefit from seeing it, and partly because I spent nearly an hour typing it. :cry:

This also reminds me of a post by Clausius2 in a previous thread I had posted:

I don't think this would have worked the last time, but it certainly worked here! :rofl: :biggrin:

Oh brother ... Good night, everyone! :zzz:
  2. jcsd
  3. Aug 18, 2004 #2
    Nice work, who says maths isn't rewarding?
  4. Aug 23, 2004 #3

That would be me. :wink:
  5. Oct 2, 2011 #4
    Hey, I know this threads yonks old, but just wondering, does anyone know where the poster got the very final bit from:

Edit: Isn't it strange how you see it once you've posted the question haha! Thanks anyway, problem solved.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?