When will the pilot hit the ground while flying over sloping terrain?

In summary: Your first idea of thinking of the plane going down at an angle may have led to the same answer, but it would have been more complicated and confusing. In summary, to solve this problem, you can use the law of sines to find the horizontal distance the plane will travel and then use the constant velocity equation to find the time it will take the plane to reach the ground.
crybllrd

Homework Statement

A pilot flies horizontally at 1300 km/hr at height 35m above initially level ground. At t= 0 the pilot begins to fly over ground sloping upward at an angle of 4.3 degrees. If the pilot does not change his heading, at what time will he hit the ground?

Homework Equations

Kinematics equations, and maybe trig.

The Attempt at a Solution

I have two ideas on how to start this problem. First was to think of the plane as going down at the angle of 4.3 degrees and the ground being flat and draw a triangle. But I felt like I was on the wrong track.
Then I was thinking to think of the airplane as sitting still, and the ground coming up toward it a 4.3 degrees and 1300 km/hr.

Are either of these the right way to solve this problem?
Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
You can try solving the way you suggest, but you may get confused. There is more straightforward way. Draw yourself a right triangle with one side vertical and equal to 35 m and with the angle opposite to it equal to 4.3 degrees. Can you calculate the length of the other right side that is horizontal? If so, find the time it takes the plane to travel that horizontal distance.

Always a good idea to draw a picture exactly related to the question. You can always take shortcuts later after youv'e done infinity of these types of problems. I'm imagining a right triangle in your future with one of the three angles equal to 90-4.3 degrees. You should be able to find the distance the plane will travel using trig, as you correctly asserted. Then its a matter of using the constant velocity equation d=r*t.

[edit: I don't even have a cool picture. I'll go to bed now.]

2m6sqar.jpg

My trig is a little rusty, but I think I can use the law of sines to get the horizontal magnitude.

[tex]\frac{L}{sin85.7}=\frac{35}{sin4.3}[/tex]

[tex]L\approx470m[/tex]

The plane is moving at 361m/s, so

[tex]\frac{470m}{361m/s}\approx1.3s[/tex]

Does that look right?

Yes. Good job.

1. What is kinematics?

Kinematics is the branch of physics that deals with the motion of objects without considering the forces that cause the motion.

2. What is a kinematics problem?

A kinematics problem is a question or scenario that requires the use of kinematics principles and equations to solve for unknown quantities such as position, velocity, or acceleration.

3. How do you solve a kinematics problem?

To solve a kinematics problem, you must first identify the known and unknown quantities, choose the appropriate kinematics equations, and use algebraic manipulation to solve for the unknown quantity.

4. What are the key concepts in kinematics?

The key concepts in kinematics include displacement, velocity, acceleration, time, and distance. Understanding the relationships between these quantities is essential for solving kinematics problems.

5. How is kinematics used in real life?

Kinematics is used in real life in a variety of fields, including engineering, physics, and sports. It is used to analyze and predict the motion of objects such as vehicles, projectiles, and athletes. It also plays a crucial role in the development of technologies such as robotics and animation.