Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma

• Thread starter UglieDuckie
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Mechanics
In summary, the conversation discusses the problem of calculating the maximum height a mass can reach when sliding down one wedge and going up another, under the conditions of frictionless surfaces and conservation of momentum and energy. The solution involves determining the velocities and applying the equations for momentum and energy conservation. The final calculated formula for the maximum height is presented and confirmed to be correct by one of the participants.
UglieDuckie
Hey guys, I'm a university freshman @ NTU, Singapore, Computer Engineering course :smile: . Yet, I'm really into physics, especially klassical ones :blushing: . Ok, a few days ago, a hiskool student asked me a question, I must say that I'm really stuck in this dilemma! :cry: . Give it a try if you guys can, Thanks!

Question: Two wedges of the same mass M, same shape and height h are laid movable on the floor. A mass m is put on the top of wedge 1; it is let to slide down wedge 1 and go up wedge 2. Calculate the maximum height mass m can reach wedge 2 in terms of m, M and h, suppose that the surfaces are perfectly frictionless.

Physics news on Phys.org
The floor the wedges are sitting on is also frictionless? If not, and the wedges don't move, the problem is easy, no matter what the masses are, in order to conserve energy, the mass m must rise back to height h.
If the floor is frictionless, the wedges will also move. The point is that horizontal momentum must be conserved (not vertical since there is a force downward. Determine how the mass m and first wedge must move in order to conserve horizontal momentum and energy. After the mass moves onto the second wedge, remember that the first wedge now continues at that velocity. Now determine how the second wedge and mass m must move so that, along with the motion of the first wedge, horizontal momentum and energy are conserved. Finally, the maximum height will occur when the vertical velocity of mass m is 0 (so its horizontal velocity is the same as the second wedge) and total horizontal momentum and energy are still conserved.

yup. the principle is correct as mentioned above. the wedges are movable.
from the first wedge the ball slides:
momentum conservation:
[tex] mv=-MV_1 [/tex]
energy is conserved:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}MV^2=mgh [/tex]
from these two we can get:
[tex] v^2=\frac{2gh}{1+\frac{m}{M}} [/tex]

then this ball hits the second wedge, and climbs up.
when it reaches max height, the speed of ball and wedge are the same.
momentum conservation:
[tex] mv=(m+M)V [/tex]
(this big V is different from above, since this is the final V of the wedge and ball)
energy:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh^' + \frac{1}{2}(m+M)V^2 [/tex]
we can then eliminate big V. rearranging,

i got:
[tex] h^'=h \frac{M^2+Mm-m^2}{(M+m)^2} [/tex]

where [itex]h^'[/itex] is the final height.

you can check it yourself.

sorry, a bit mistyping above. :biggrin:

from the first wedge the ball slides:
momentum conservation:
[tex] mv=-MV_1 [/tex]
energy is conserved:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2+\frac{1}{2}MV^2=mgh [/tex]
from these two we can get:
[tex] v^2=\frac{2gh}{1+\frac{m}{M}} [/tex]

then this ball hits the second wedge, and climbs up.
when it reaches max height, the speed of ball and wedge are the same.
momentum conservation:
[tex] mv=(m+M)V [/tex]
(this big V is different from above, since this is the final V of the wedge and ball)
energy:
[tex] \frac{1}{2}mv^2=mgh^{'} + \frac{1}{2}(m+M)V^2 [/tex]
we can then eliminate big V. rearranging,

i got:
[tex] h^{'}=h \frac{M^2+Mm-m^2}{(M+m)^2} [/tex]

where [itex]h^'[/itex] is the final height.

you can check it yourself.

hi UglieDuckie, is my answer correct or not?

have you checked it with your friend?

sniffer said:
hi UglieDuckie, is my answer correct or not?

have you checked it with your friend?
Man, your calculations are brilliant, thanks for paying attention!
After doing just the same steps, I came to the solution:

h' = h

Check the ans in this attachment! :blushing:

Attachments

• ans.DOC
    25.5 KB · Views: 157
i made an algebraic mistake. yours is correct.

thanks.

1. What is "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma"?

"Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" is a theoretical problem in classical mechanics that deals with the concept of determinism and the predictability of physical systems. It explores the idea that even with perfect knowledge of initial conditions and all relevant laws of physics, the future behavior of a system may still be unpredictable.

2. How does "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" relate to the original Klassical Mechanics Dilemma?

The original Klassical Mechanics Dilemma, also known as Laplace's demon, proposes that with perfect knowledge of the current state of the universe, one could accurately predict all future events. "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" challenges this idea by suggesting that even with perfect knowledge, unpredictability may still exist in certain physical systems.

3. What are some real-world examples of "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma"?

One example of "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" is chaotic systems, such as the weather or the stock market. These systems may have deterministic laws governing their behavior, but they are sensitive to even small variations in initial conditions, making their long-term prediction nearly impossible.

4. How is "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" relevant to modern scientific research?

The concept of "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" has implications for fields such as quantum mechanics and chaos theory, which both involve systems that are inherently unpredictable. It also challenges the idea of strict determinism in science and encourages scientists to consider the limitations of our ability to predict and control physical systems.

5. Are there any proposed solutions to "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma"?

Some scientists have proposed that the unpredictability observed in certain physical systems may be due to limitations in our knowledge and understanding, rather than true indeterminism. Others have suggested that incorporating concepts such as probability and randomness into our understanding of physical systems may help to address the dilemma. However, there is no widely accepted solution to "Another Klassical Mechanics Dilemma" at this time.