1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Language thread

1. Apr 6, 2010 #1
    Is there any point at all in learning Latin?? I know this is the 21st century, but there must be some little use for it right? For Mathematician/Physicists.
  2. jcsd
  3. Apr 6, 2010 #2
    The only use I could think of would be to read old texts in the original, like for example the works of Euler and his contemporaries, or Newton. Seems like a lot of effort for a limited benefit to me.
  4. Apr 6, 2010 #3

I've never had any need for Latin. I suggest learning a language that would come in useful. I took Russian - that's never come in useful. Now I need to learn German and Spanish. German because my collaborators are in Germany and I often travel there, and Spanish because all our telescopes are in Chile and I spend a lot of time down there as well.
  5. Apr 6, 2010 #4
    What about French? I am Canadian, so I was brought up to learn French. But must I take the language at my University? I bet I could flourish with just a native speaker as my tutor.

What are thoughts on Japanese?
  6. Apr 6, 2010 #5
    I know that most graduate schools in math that require a foreign language accept French as one of the choices. The three choices are usually German, Russian and French. That said, I don't know what the chances are that you will actually use French at all beyond that.
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook