Solve Latex Problem - Chapter 1: Unbiased Estimators

• LaTeX
  • Thread starter sara_87
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Latex
In summary, an unbiased estimator is a statistical measure that accurately estimates the true value of a population parameter without any systematic error or bias. It differs from a biased estimator, which consistently produces estimates that are either too high or too low from the true value. To determine if an estimator is unbiased, its expected value must be compared to the true value of the parameter. Some examples of unbiased estimators include the sample mean, sample variance, and sample proportion. To improve the accuracy of an unbiased estimator, one can increase the sample size and use more advanced statistical techniques and methods.
sara_87

Homework Statement

I want to return:

Chapter 1: Unbiased Estimators
1.1 intro

Homework Equations

The Attempt at a Solution

If i do:

\section{Chapter 1: Unbiased estimators}
\subsection{intro}

I get:
1. Chapter 1: Unbiased estimators
1.1 intro

If I do:
Chapter 1: Unbiased estimators
\subsection{intro}

I get:
Chapter 1: Unbiased estimators
0.1 intro

How do i get:

Chapter 1: Unbiased Estimators
1.1 intro

?

Physics news on Phys.org
Try
Code:
\documentclass{report}

\chapter{Unbiased Estimators}
    \section{intro}
Make sure to use the "report" class (not "article") when you're using chapters.

Thanks, this works nicely.

1. What is an unbiased estimator?

An unbiased estimator is a statistical measure that accurately estimates the true value of a population parameter without any systematic error or bias. It means that on average, the estimator will produce estimates that are close to the true value.

2. How is an unbiased estimator different from a biased estimator?

An unbiased estimator does not have any systematic error or bias, whereas a biased estimator consistently produces estimates that are either too high or too low from the true value. This can lead to inaccurate conclusions and misleading results.

3. How do you determine if an estimator is unbiased?

To determine if an estimator is unbiased, we need to compare its expected value to the true value of the parameter. If the expected value of the estimator is equal to the true value, then it is considered unbiased. This can be verified through mathematical calculations or simulations.

4. What are some examples of unbiased estimators?

Some examples of unbiased estimators include the sample mean, sample variance, and sample proportion. These estimators are commonly used to estimate the population mean, variance, and proportion, respectively, and are known to be unbiased under certain conditions.

5. How can you improve the accuracy of an unbiased estimator?

The accuracy of an unbiased estimator can be improved by increasing the sample size. This reduces the variability of the estimator and makes it more likely to produce estimates that are close to the true value. Additionally, using more advanced statistical techniques and methods can also help improve the accuracy of an unbiased estimator.