1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Linear Approx Problem

1. Mar 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    Let f(t) be the weight (in grams) of a solid sitting in a beaker of water. Suppose that the solid dissolves in such a way that the rate of change (in grams/minute) of the weight of the solid at any time t can be determined from the weight using the forumula:
    [tex]f'(t) = -4 f(t) ( 5 + f(t) )[/tex]

If there is 2 grams of solid at time t = 2 estimate the amount of solid 1 second later.

2. Relevant equations
    [tex]f'(t) = -4 f(t) ( 5 + f(t) )[/tex]

3. The attempt at a solution
    So I get [tex]f'(2)=-56[/tex] Not sure what to do after that, do I use a differential?

2. jcsd
  3. Mar 11, 2007 #2

Gib Z

Homework Helper

Do you know what linear approximations work?

Using the derivative of the function which gives the amount of solid, find the gradient of the tangent at the point you know the functions value.

You have the gradient, and a point this straight line passes though. Find the equation of this new line, and sub in the value of one second later.

4. Mar 11, 2007 #3

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

Yes, the whole point is to use the differential.

If f '= H(f,t), then df= H(f,t)dt and, of course, the "next" value of f is f+ df.

In particular, if f '(2)= -56, then df= -56 dt. What is dt here?

(I don't think a linear approximation is going to be very accurate for this large a dt!)

5. Mar 11, 2007 #4
    dt=1 second? so we still get -56? That doesn't seem right

6. Mar 11, 2007 #5

nrqed

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

They say that f' is in grams per minute. So The change in mass will be -56 grams/minute * 1/60 minute, so a bit less than one gram is lost. It is *still* strange to use a differential for such a large time interval, it would really make sense only for a delta t at least ten times smaller. Oh, well...

Patrick

7. Mar 11, 2007 #6

matt grime

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

That's a very subjective call. It might well be an extremely accurate approximation - depends on f, not what units of time you use.

8. Mar 12, 2007 #7

HallsofIvy

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor

True. When I said "I don't think a linear approximation is going to be very accurate for this large a dt!" I hadn't noticed that the problem gave df/dt in grams per minute (so t= 2 minutes but then asks for the value in one more second (so dt= 1/60, not 1). However, I had cleverly asked "what is dt here" so no one would notice!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?