Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another linear transformation question

1. Jul 17, 2005 #1
    Q: In each case, show that T is not a linear transformation.

T[x y]^T = [0 y^2]^T

A: If X = [0 1]^T then T(2X) = [0 4]^T while 2T(X) = [0 2]^T

I don't quite understand this solution. What are we trying to accomplish here? So, since T(2X) = [0 4]^T while 2T(X) = [0 2]^T do not yeild the same answer, then it's not linear? If the answer was T(2X) = [0 4]^T while 2T(X) = [0 4]^T, then it would be linear?
  2. jcsd
  3. Jul 17, 2005 #2
    One of the defining characteristics of a linear transformation f (with some given domain/codomain) is that f(kx) = k * f(x) (k is any scalar, x any vector). So if we have a function (like your "T") which /doesn't/ satisfy the previous condition, it can't be linear.

However, just because a function satisfies f(kx) = k * f(x) for some pair k, x doesn't mean it's linear. It may fail to satisfy f(kx) = k * f(x) for some other pair of k, x, or it might not satisfy f(x + y) = f(x) + f(y) (x, y vectors).
    Last edited: Jul 17, 2005
  4. Jul 17, 2005 #3

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

To check if a transformation is linear, you must verify that the two following properties are satisfied:

1. T(u+v)=T(u)+T(v)

That is the definition.

What the author does is that he gives a counter-exemple of 2. I.e. he gives a specific case (u = (0,1)) where 2. fails. And this is sufficient to conclude that T is not linear.

Now I hope you understand that simply verifying that "T(2X) = [0 4]^T while 2T(X) = [0 4]^T" wouldn't prove anything. To conclude that T is linear, you'd have to show that properties 1. AND 2. are satisfied for EVERY imaginable vector.
  5. Jul 17, 2005 #4
    Understood. Thanks a lot
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?