Another locked thread, no reason

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the thread was locked because it was a potential source of crankery, and it would be better to state why the thread has been closed.
phinds
Science Advisor
Insights Author
Gold Member
This thread is locked

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-this-possible-giant-planet-a-hot-topic-in-astronomy.857258/

I have no problem w/ it being locked as I'm sure there's some decent reason for it, but I point out that someone browsing the forum would be hard pressed to see why in the world the thread is locked and in particular why it was done with no reason stated. Seems to me this makes the forum look bad. It would be better to state why the thread has been closed.

Likes OCR
Physics news on Phys.org
phinds said:
This thread is locked

https://www.physicsforums.com/threads/is-this-possible-giant-planet-a-hot-topic-in-astronomy.857258/

I have no problem w/ it being locked as I'm sure there's some decent reason for it, but I point out that someone browsing the forum would be hard pressed to see why in the world the thread is locked and in particular why it was done with no reason stated. Seems to me this makes the forum look bad. It would be better to state why the thread has been closed.
We are assessing the situation and will hopefully have a resolution soon.

phinds said:
but I point out that someone browsing the forum would be hard pressed to see why in the world the thread is locked and in particular why it was done with no reason stated. Seems to me this makes the forum look bad. It would be better to state why the thread has been closed.

I agree with completely

Some mentors are great and state why a particular thread was locked ... others say nothing :wink:

if it is woo woo/crackpot ... say so. if dangerous to personal health, electrical, chemical etc say so

Doing so may even help encourage others that may read the thread not to post their own similar ones
now knowing the likely outcome of their post :smile:

Dave

I remember commenting in a report about the IOP journals being okay but I can't find the report. I think it was attached to this thread.

As Evo said, alw34 posted two threads around the same with one clearly crackpottery and the other we weren't sure of so I think this one fell through the cracks somehow.

I will unlock it as no one has shown any objections.

Thanks for the response, folks. Sorry this rather trivial thing took up time but I think it's solved the issue that I brought up in the OP and that was worth doing.

Likes OCR and berkeman
No, thank you for pursuing it. We somehow dropped the ball here. My apologies.

Likes OCR and berkeman
How come, after all these years, this is not, mostly, automated.

m k said:
This is an example of when something can't be automated. It takes a human to read the post and links, check to see if the sources are in our "ok" list, even then, we have to double check because we've found a number of journals getting listed that shouldn't be. IIRC, the mentor that locked this thread fell ill, and other mentors were assuming he was working on it.

Never hurts to ask.

m k said:
Nope, none of the Mentors use 'bots. Nope. :wink:

jedishrfu said:
I'm a bot...
That means nothing without a picture. Oh, wait...

Likes jim mcnamara, jedishrfu, Greg Bernhardt and 1 other person
jedishrfu said:
I'm a bot...

You look like more of a toaster to me.

Likes Greg Bernhardt and jedishrfu
Drakkith said:
You look like more of a toaster to me.

says the guy with the Halo helmet...

Likes Drakkith
I agree that it would be nice to see an explanation of why locked threads are locked, especially if it isn't obvious. Is there room for some automated and non-automated support for mentors in this?

On the automated front, for example, a two-stage locking mechanism. Stage 1 locks the thread and auto-posts "Thread closed for moderation", and sets periodic reminders that the lock is unresolved. Stage 2 is "closed with an explanation". Jump straight to stage 2 if no discussion needed. You could also have standard lines for standard cases. Where you have someone who's posted a dozen crank threads and you're closing #13 not because the first post is cranky but because you know the OP is going to turn it cranky, have a one-click-to-post-and-lock template saying "Locked because the OP has past form for cranky behaviour". Possibly more tactfully.

On the non-automated front, since writing an explanation for why a thread is locked is yet another call on mentor time, how about a "deputy mentor" post? Give them access to (some of?) the mentor forums (but not the ban hammer) and encourage them to join the discussions and especially to write summaries of discussions, with a view to a mentor posting their summary as an explanation for the final lock. Maybe consider it a non-permanent position, rotating round members in good standing and see who participates?

Anyway - I'm drifting into crank territory myself by proposing solutions to problems I don't completely understand, so I'll shut up now.

Regardless of what may or may not happen in the future, remember that you can use the "Report" feature to notify the mentors that a locked thread has no explanation of why it's locked.

Ooh! Report a mentor's post for the good of the forum! I like that... :wink:

Likes Nugatory and berkeman
Ibix said:
Ooh! Report a mentor's post for the good of the forum! I like that... :wink:

If a mentor reports a mentor's post, is that like dividing by zero?

Drakkith said:
If a mentor reports a mentor's post, is that like dividing by zero?
Well, in your case, it could be more like the blind leading the ... uh, wait ... I was going to say blind but the other mentor probably knows what they are doing so now I'm hung up in the middle of a metaphor ... Well, nuts. I guess us dogs aren't good at metaphors.
:smile:

Likes Drakkith
m k said:
Just wanted to correct a misconception that relatively new forum members can get. About 1-1/2 years ago, Greg moved the forum to a completely new system, with very different procedures for moderating and for Mentors to deal with problem threads and problem members. So, it's not a matter of "after all these years"; it's been less than two.

Plus: (1) there is no automating of human judgment, and (2) Mentors are volunteers, who may be busy with work or other real-life matters and need to close a thread ASAP in order to stop a flood.

Last edited:
Likes Greg Bernhardt and berkeman
Redbelly98 said:
Just wanted to correct a misconception that relatively new forum members can get. About 1-1/2 years ago, Greg moved the forum to a completely new system, with very different procedures for moderating and for Mentors to deal with problem threads and problem members. So, it's not a matter of "after all these years"; it's been less than two.

Indeed. The entire moderation procedure is much more streamlined now than it had been under the old software.

Redbelly98 said:
About 1-1/2 years ago, Greg moved the forum to a completely new system, with very different procedures for moderating and for Mentors to deal with problem threads and problem members.

That's right, and since then PF has become a kindlier, friendlier forum. Before that, logging into PF was a lot like running into a Mongol horde out on lower reaches of the Volga...

Likes Evo
DiracPool said:
That's right, and since then PF has become a kindlier, friendlier forum. Before that, logging into PF was a lot like running into a Mongol horde out on lower reaches of the Volga...

Well, I don't remember it being that bad... I think it was more like running into a horde of small Mongols, all of which want new protractors.

Last edited:
Likes phinds
Those things happen from time to time. One of my posts has been deleted for being "off topic". The very next day I found another post with many lines plus an answer which exactly had the same topic. Only that it has been from someone with more credits. Strange? Yes. Bad? No.

fresh_42 said:
One of my posts has been deleted for being "off topic". The very next day I found another post with many lines plus an answer which exactly had the same topic. Only that it has been from someone with more credits.

If that happens then please notify the mentors.

Drakkith said:
If that happens then please notify the mentors.
No it hasn't been "off topic" only a misconception of reasoning for the cause of a physical phenomena. It was neither false nor was it off topic. It was simply not responsible for the observation.

DiracPool said:
Well, that's mostly a coincidence... :smile:

About the same time, Greg led some very heartfelt discussions in the Mentor forums, where we discussed the tradeoffs between a very friendly forum and treating crackpots strictly and quickly to spare our members from having to deal with them. I think the balance we've struck has turned out to work very well. It's a big challenge, but it's worth the effort, IMO.

fresh_42 said:
No it hasn't been "off topic" only a misconception of reasoning for the cause of a physical phenomena. It was neither false nor was it off topic. It was simply not responsible for the observation.

Fresh, I don't really know what you're getting at, but if you'd like to discuss it further feel free to contact myself or another mentor.

Likes berkeman
What if you don't trust them.
What if they are just a bunch of bullies.

m k said:
Don't trust who? The Mentors? We are very trustworthy, and we can all see each others Mentoring actions. No bullies here... :smile:

Likes fresh_42
Who decides that.
Don't reveal yourselves.

m k said:
Who decides that.
Don't reveal yourselves.
Who decides what? You are kind of speaking in riddles at the moment...

The Illuminati choose the mentors. Haven't you noticed the clues in their user numbers?

Likes Samy_A and berkeman
Ibix said:
The Illuminati choose the mentors. Haven't you noticed the clues in their user numbers?
WHAT? All catholics?

m k said:

If you're talking about the mentors, then all I can say is that if you believe this, there's really nothing to say. If you believe we're bullies and don't trust us, there's probably nothing we can do to convince you otherwise and you have little reason to contact us.

Likes gracy