Another locked thread, no reason

• Thread starter phinds
  • Start date
In summary, the thread was locked because it was a potential source of crankery, and it would be better to state why the thread has been closed.
berkeman said:
Who decides what? You are kind of speaking in riddles at the moment...
I'm just one.
You are many.

Physics news on Phys.org
m k said:
I'm just one.
You are many.
Yes, they ARE many. Many people who spend a lot of time making this forum the outstanding place that it is. They aren't paid for all the time they spend here and they have to put up with crackpots, disgruntled members who sometimes don't like what they do to keep the site running smoothly and they even put up with grumpy members like me who aren't always as friendly in our posts as they would like. Yeah, sometimes their decisions seem quite arbitrary ... they ARE human after all (except for Drakkit who is a robot) ... but they are not bullies and if you don't like what one of them does you should PM him/her.

Likes gracy, Greg Bernhardt, mfb and 1 other person
What if one doesn't believe in PMs.
First protection is publicity.

m k said:
First protection is publicity.
I think you're being paranoid.

I should close this thread now, for no reason. :devil:

Likes dlgoff, berkeman and phinds
Evo said:
I should close this thread now, for no reason. :devil:
Just change the title to: "another superstition, no reason" :cool:

fresh_42 said:
Just change the title to: "another superstition, no reason" :cool:
Lol :smile:

m k said:
I think there is quite solid evidence for the existence of PMs.

Protection of what? This is Greg's forum, if he wants to, he can ban anyone he likes - he does not do that, of course, bans are only issued for serious or repeated violation of the forum rules, to keep the forum a nice place. He can also give the rights to ban users to other users of his choice, so they can help to keep the forum a nice place.
If you don't trust Greg at all, this forum is probably not the right place for you. If you do trust him, then you can also trust his choice of mentors.

phinds said:
(except for Drakkit who is a robot)

< possibly_off_topic >

Actually, @Drakkith is a space marine.

Doom0re.jpg

He's just wearing a protective helmet is all. (Safety first!) Here's what he looks like without the helmet:

doom2.gif

< /possibly_off_topic >

Likes Drakkith
collinsmark said:
Actually, @Drakkith is a space marine.
Ha. I see his disguise has you fooled. He's a clever little robot, he is.

I understand the logic and reasoning for (some) of the treads being closed. I had a thread closed simply because someone besides myself "injected politics" into the conversations. I once made a joke in a particular thread that was an odd topic to begin with and in no way was it offensive, but was deemed inappropriate. I have seen far more offensive and speculative language used as explanations "reasons" for closing threads from particular mentors. NOONE is above reproach.
That being said people are human and in some cases people with "power" will tend to abuse it on certain occasions. I don't care how reasonable factual "commonsense" or true your opinion is. If another member reports you because you can put up a good argument for your opinion and even the opposition can see your logic, they can always fall back on the "acceptable sources" rule. All crackpottery aside, Even if your information is good and even if its been peer reviewed if its been hidden behind a pay wall and you aren't willing to buy that information you can and in some cases most definitely will be closed, deleted, and in some cases disciplined for your actions.

<h2>1. What is the purpose of locking a thread?</h2><p>Locking a thread is typically done by moderators or administrators in online forums or discussion boards. It is done to prevent further discussion or comments on a particular topic. This can be due to various reasons such as violating community guidelines, repetitive or irrelevant discussions, or to prevent heated arguments.</p><h2>2. Can a locked thread be unlocked?</h2><p>Yes, a locked thread can be unlocked by moderators or administrators. This is usually done if the issue that caused the thread to be locked has been resolved or if there is a need for further discussion on the topic. However, not all locked threads are unlocked and it is at the discretion of the moderators or administrators.</p><h2>3. Why was my thread locked without any reason given?</h2><p>In some cases, moderators or administrators may lock a thread without providing a reason. This could be due to a violation of community guidelines or repetitive discussions that have been previously addressed. If you are unsure why your thread was locked, you can reach out to the moderators or administrators for clarification.</p><h2>4. Can I still view a locked thread?</h2><p>Yes, you can still view a locked thread even though you may not be able to comment or participate in the discussion. This is because the purpose of locking a thread is to prevent further discussion, not to hide the existing discussion from view.</p><h2>5. How can I avoid having my thread locked?</h2><p>To avoid having your thread locked, make sure to follow the community guidelines and avoid repetitive discussions that have already been addressed. It is also important to be respectful and avoid heated arguments. If you have any doubts, you can always reach out to the moderators or administrators for clarification.</p>

1. What is the purpose of locking a thread?

Locking a thread is typically done by moderators or administrators in online forums or discussion boards. It is done to prevent further discussion or comments on a particular topic. This can be due to various reasons such as violating community guidelines, repetitive or irrelevant discussions, or to prevent heated arguments.

2. Can a locked thread be unlocked?

Yes, a locked thread can be unlocked by moderators or administrators. This is usually done if the issue that caused the thread to be locked has been resolved or if there is a need for further discussion on the topic. However, not all locked threads are unlocked and it is at the discretion of the moderators or administrators.

3. Why was my thread locked without any reason given?

In some cases, moderators or administrators may lock a thread without providing a reason. This could be due to a violation of community guidelines or repetitive discussions that have been previously addressed. If you are unsure why your thread was locked, you can reach out to the moderators or administrators for clarification.

4. Can I still view a locked thread?

Yes, you can still view a locked thread even though you may not be able to comment or participate in the discussion. This is because the purpose of locking a thread is to prevent further discussion, not to hide the existing discussion from view.

5. How can I avoid having my thread locked?

To avoid having your thread locked, make sure to follow the community guidelines and avoid repetitive discussions that have already been addressed. It is also important to be respectful and avoid heated arguments. If you have any doubts, you can always reach out to the moderators or administrators for clarification.