Circle Tangents and Locus Problem: Finding the Equation with Given Slopes

• Thread starter Raghav Gupta
  • Start date
In summary, the two circles are concentric, and the locus of the point (x,y) is located on the tangent line.
Raghav Gupta

Homework Statement

If the tangent from a point P to the circle ## x^2 + y^2 = 1 ## is perpendicular to the tangent from P to the circle ##x^2 + y^2 = 3 ##, then the locus of P is:

Homework Equations

Equation of tangent to a circle in terms of slope m is,
## y = mx ± a\sqrt{1+ m^2} ##

The Attempt at a Solution

See diagram,
image.jpg

I know ## m_1m_2 = -1##
getting ##y = m_1x ± \sqrt{ 1+ m_1^2}##
and other equation ## y = m_2x ± √3\sqrt{1+ m_2^2}##
I think I need one more equation for getting locus equation but from where it will come?

Physics news on Phys.org
Raghav Gupta said:

Homework Statement

If the tangent from a point P to the circle ## x^2 + y^2 = 1 ## is perpendicular to the tangent from P to the circle ##x^2 + y^2 = 3 ##, then the locus of P is:

Homework Equations

## y = mx ± a\sqrt{1+ m^2} ##
What is the radius of this circle?

Where is the center of this circle?

The Attempt at a Solution

See diagram,
View attachment 82703
I know ## m_1m_2 = -1##
getting ##y = m_1x ± \sqrt{ 1+ m_1^2}##
and other equation ## y = m_2x ± \sqrt{3}\,\sqrt{1+ m_2^2}##
I think I need one more equation for getting locus equation but from where it will come?

Last edited:
SammyS said:
What is the radius of this circle?

Where is the center of this circle?
The two circles are concentric having centre( 0,0) and first circle has radius of 1 and other circle has radius of ## \sqrt{3}##

Dear Raghav,

If you would just make a slightly better drawing... your 90 degrees doesn't look like 90 degrees at all !

And "locus" means: you have to find all points that have this property, so move one tangent and let the other follow. The answer will hit you in the face !

Raghav Gupta said:
The two circles are concentric having centre( 0,0) and first circle has radius of 1 and other circle has radius of ## \sqrt{3}##
Yes, quite clearly.

I tried to indicate by how I separated the quotations --

Under

Homework Equations

What is the radius, and location of the center of the circle that the following is true for?

##\displaystyle\ y = mx ± a\sqrt{1+ m^2}\ ##​

Is the point, ##\ (x,\,y)\,,\ ## located on the circle or located on the tangent line?

When you go to use some derived quantity, you need to know under what conditions it is valid.

BvU said:
Dear Raghav,

If you would just make a slightly better drawing... your 90 degrees doesn't look like 90 degrees at all !

And "locus" means: you have to find all points that have this property, so move one tangent and let the other follow. The answer will hit you in the face !
I drawed once more but the answers are not hitting my face.
I think one should know the art of drawing to solve these problems.
Are you using some software for making drawings?
That would be cheating, since I am drawing by hand.

SammyS said:
Is the point, ##\ (x,\,y)\,,\ ## located on the circle or located on the tangent line?

When you go to use some derived quantity, you need to know under what conditions it is valid.
The (x,y) is located on tangent line.
That formula is valid when any line touches the circle at one point.

I don't call that cheating. But you can also draw two circles using a cup and a saucer. And a 90 degree angle is available from a piece of cardboard. Are we going to argue about this ?

You can always use the whiteboard from the button on the lower right to make a point

Snapshot.jpg

BvU said:
I don't call that cheating. But you can also draw two circles using a cup and a saucer. And a 90 degree angle is available from a piece of cardboard. Are we going to argue about this ?

You can always use the whiteboard from the button on the lower right to make a point

View attachment 82707
I don't use a computer and PF whiteboard is not applicable for mobile devices. ( The PF whiteboard was a recent addition in response to my thread in feedback and announcement forums. :blushing: )
By diagram, it is looking the locus of P is a circle but of what radius?
Now I think apart from drawing we will definitely need some algebra for solving this problem?

Last edited:
Raghav Gupta said:
I don't use a computer and PF whiteboard is not applicable for mobile devices. ( The PF whiteboard was a recent addition in response to my thread in feedback and announcement forums. :blushing: )
By diagram, it is looking the locus of P is a circle but of what radius?
Now I think apart from drawing we will definitely need some algebra for solving this problem?
(That diagram is so informative, that you should be able to determine the radius by using it.)

To do this by algebra. ...

If the two tangent lines are to be perpendicular, how are m1 and m2 related?

Algebra: you recently got acquainted with the normal equation for a tangent line :wink: . Very useful here!

Geometry: no computer, so back to cup, saucer and cardboard :smile: (but instead of the cardoard you can use a phone, I suppose -- or is that cheating ?).
Anyway, if you draw these normal vectors in the figure (or imagine them), you have three 90 degree angles in a quadrangle :rolleyes:

Raghav Gupta said:
I drawed once more but the answers are not hitting my face.
I think one should know the art of drawing to solve these problems.
Are you using some software for making drawings?
That would be cheating, since I am drawing by hand.

Back when I was a student we used rulers, compasses and protractors to make drawings. We purchased graph paper for making plots (although these days you can download and print your own), using a gadget called a "French curve" to make smooth graphs through some points. I am not sure you can even find a French curve anymore, but the other items are still available. As has been suggested, you can use a glass or a cup for drawing circles and the frame of an i-phone to make right-angles.

Thanks to all of you three guys.
SammyS said:
(That diagram is so informative, that you should be able to determine the radius by using it.)
Very true. Applied Pythagoras theorem and got radius 2.
SammyS said:
To do this by algebra. ...

I think diagram was more useful. Centre of circle is (0,0). So taking a point (x,y). Applying distance formula
## x^2 + y^2 = 4 ## That distance 2 was found from diagram.
BvU said:
Algebra: you recently got acquainted with the normal equation for a tangent line :wink: . Very useful here!

Geometry: no computer, so back to cup, saucer and cardboard :smile: (but instead of the cardoard you can use a phone, I suppose -- or is that cheating ?).
Anyway, if you draw these normal vectors in the figure (or imagine them), you have three 90 degree angles in a quadrangle :rolleyes:
Nah, I think diagram and Pythagoras was more useful.
Phone is a cheating, because we cannot bring phone in an examination hall.
The inviligators would consider us mad if we bring cup, saucer and cardboard in an examination hall.:smile:
Ray Vickson said:
Back when I was a student we used rulers, compasses and protractors to make drawings. We purchased graph paper for making plots (although these days you can download and print your own), using a gadget called a "French curve" to make smooth graphs through some points. I am not sure you can even find a French curve anymore, but the other items are still available. As has been suggested, you can use a glass or a cup for drawing circles and the frame of an i-phone to make right-angles.
Your idea of protractor, graphs , ruler is good. But I think rough drawing is a fast way.
And I do not have an i- phone.:smile:

Last edited:
Well well, are you now changing course altogether and dropping the algebraic approach in favour of the geometrical ?
If I were you I would at least try to come to the same result with the more abstract algebraic approach (*). Seeing it in a picture is for pussies, a real scientist comes to results with formulas !

(*) great advantage:more extendable to really complex problems in many more dimensions

BvU said:
Well well, are you now changing course altogether and dropping the algebraic approach in favour of the geometrical ?
If I were you I would at least try to come to the same result with the more abstract algebraic approach (*). Seeing it in a picture is for pussies, a real scientist comes to results with formulas !

(*) great advantage:more extendable to really complex problems in many more dimensions
I am getting, by that inner product form for tangents,
xx1 + yy1 = 1
xx2 + yy2 = 3
Also since tangents are perpendicular at P
x1x2/(y1y2) = -1

SammyS said:
m1m2 = -1 .

Ray Vickson said:
using a gadget called a "French curve" to make smooth graphs through some points. I am not sure you can even find a French curve anymore,
These are still available, they're required in courses on Technical Drawing .....

Raghav Gupta said:
I am getting, by that inner product form for tangents,
xx1 + yy1 = 1
xx2 + yy2 = 3
Also since tangents are perpendicular at P
x1x2/(y1y2) = -1
Good. You also know ##(x_1,y_1)## can be written as ##(\cos\alpha, \sin\alpha)## and
##(x_2,y_2)## can be written as ##\sqrt 3 (\cos\beta, \sin\beta)=\sqrt 3(\cos(\alpha+\pi/2), \sin(\alpha+\pi/2) = \sqrt 3(- \sin\alpha, \cos\alpha)##.

And you know point P is on both lines. 2 eqns in 2 unknowns (x,y) with one parameter, ##\alpha##.

And you already know the answer for x,y, right ?

--

BvU said:
Good. You also know ##(x_1,y_1)## can be written as ##(\cos\alpha, \sin\alpha)## and
##(x_2,y_2)## can be written as ##\sqrt 3 (\cos\beta, \sin\beta)=\sqrt 3(\cos(\alpha+\pi/2), \sin(\alpha+\pi/2) = \sqrt 3(- \sin\alpha, \cos\alpha)##.

And you know point P is on both lines. 2 eqns in 2 unknowns (x,y) with one parameter, ##\alpha##.

And you already know the answer for x,y, right ?

--
How β = α + π/2 ?

Because the lines are perpendicular the difference in angle is 90 degrees, aka ##\pi/2##

BvU said:
Because the lines are perpendicular the difference in angle is 90 degrees, aka ##\pi/2##
Okay,
Squared the equations and added them and got the answer. Thanks.

1. What is the definition of a circle tangent?

A circle tangent is a line that intersects a circle at exactly one point, known as the point of tangency. This line is perpendicular to the circle's radius at that point.

2. How do you find the equation of a circle tangent with given slopes?

To find the equation of a circle tangent with given slopes, you will need to use the slope-intercept form of a line (y = mx + b) and the equation of a circle (x^2 + y^2 = r^2). First, find the slope of the tangent line by taking the negative reciprocal of the given slope. Then, use the point of tangency and the slope to find the y-intercept (b) of the tangent line. Finally, substitute the values into the slope-intercept form to get the equation of the tangent line. To find the equation of the circle, use the given slopes to set up a system of equations with the equation of the circle. Solve for the x and y coordinates of the center of the circle, and then substitute those values into the equation of the circle.

3. Can there be more than one tangent line to a circle from a given point?

Yes, there can be two tangent lines to a circle from a given point. This occurs when the point is outside of the circle and the lines are secant lines. If the point is inside the circle, there will be no tangent lines.

4. How do you find the locus of points that are equidistant from two given points?

To find the locus of points that are equidistant from two given points, you will need to use the distance formula and the concept of perpendicular bisectors. Find the distance between the two given points, and then use this value as the radius to draw two circles with the two points as the centers. The intersection of these two circles will be the locus of points that are equidistant from the two given points.

5. Are there any real-life applications of circle tangents and locus problems?

Yes, there are many real-life applications of circle tangents and locus problems. For example, in engineering and construction, the concept of tangents is used to design roads, bridges, and other structures that need to follow the curvature of the earth. In navigation, the concept of tangents is used to calculate the shortest distance between two points on a curved surface. Locus problems are also used in engineering, particularly in the design of machines, to ensure that all components move in a smooth and efficient manner. Additionally, the concept of locus is used in biology and genetics to study the inheritance of traits and the movement of organisms in their environment.