Can you help me solve this logarithmic equation: loga(2+x) = 2 + logax?

• Thread starter Cmunro
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Log
In summary, the person is trying to solve for x in terms of a, but they are getting lost. They eventually get help from a friend and they are able to solve for x.
Cmunro
Hi, I've been trying to work out:

loga(2+x) = 2 + logax

This is as far as I can get:

loga(2+x) - logax =2
so: loga((2+x)/x) =2
loga((2+x)/x) =log100 (I'm not even sure where I could go with this one though).

Relevant equations include:

log x +log y = log xy
log x - log y = log x/y
logax=(logcx)/logca

I'd really appreciate any hints you can give me. Thanks.

Physics news on Phys.org
It looks like you represented the 2 on the right side as a common log of 100, but the left side is log base a, so that isn't very useful in this case. Since log base a ((2+x)/x) = 2, try thinking more in terms of, "a raised to the second power is equal to ((2+x)/x)."

I tried to follow this trail of thought, but it didn't seem to take me anywhere:

a^2 =(2+x)/x

xa^2=2+x or alternatively a=root((2+x)/x)

..but I can't see how any of this will get rid of the a, which is ideally what I'd like to do to solve for x.

Cmunro said:
I tried to follow this trail of thought, but it didn't seem to take me anywhere:

a^2 =(2+x)/x

xa^2=2+x or alternatively a=root((2+x)/x)

..but I can't see how any of this will get rid of the a, which is ideally what I'd like to do to solve for x.

You don't want to get rid of the a. You want to solve for x in terms of a. Got that? Solve for x, not a.

ohhh I see! I've been quite thick really, of course I don't want to get rid of the a.

Ok so: a[tex]^{2}[/tex]=2+x/x
xa[tex]^{2}[/tex]-x=2
x(a[tex]^{2}[/tex]-1) =2
x= 2/(a[tex]^{2}[/tex]-1)

Is this right? If yes, can it be simpler?

It looks plenty simple to me.

Thanks for your help both of you :)

1) What is the solution to the equation loga(2+x)=2+logax?

The solution to the equation is x=2.

2) How do you solve loga(2+x)=2+logax?

To solve this equation, you can use the properties of logarithms to rewrite it as loga(2+x)=loga(ax)+loga(2). Then, by using the rule loga(ax)=x, you can simplify the equation to 2+x=2+x. This shows that x=2 is the solution.

3) Can this equation have multiple solutions?

No, this equation only has one solution, which is x=2. This is because for any value of a, the logarithm function is a one-to-one function, meaning that each input has a unique output.

4) Are there any restrictions on the values of a and x for this equation to be solvable?

Yes, for this equation to be solvable, both a and x must be positive real numbers. This is because the domain of logarithmic functions is restricted to positive real numbers.

5) How can this equation be applied in real-life situations?

This equation can be used in various fields such as finance, biology, and physics. For example, in finance, this equation can be used to calculate the compound interest on investments. In biology, it can be used to model population growth rates. In physics, it can be used to calculate the half-life of radioactive substances.