Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another MAJOR finding by Mars rover to be announced Tuesday.

1. Mar 22, 2004 #1
    Another “MAJOR” finding by Mars rover to be announced Tuesday.

On Tuesday, March 23 at 2pm, NASA and the Mars rover team are going to make another announcement about a major scientific finding by the rover Opportunity. No word yet on what the discovery is, but it should be big since they’re not wasting anytime putting this conference together. Check out this link for more info:
  2. jcsd
  3. Mar 22, 2004 #2

Staff: Mentor

Interesting, I wonder what the announcement will be.
  4. Mar 22, 2004 #3
    Anyone wanna take a guess?

I'm guessing it'll be evidence of groundwater. Just a guess.
  5. Mar 22, 2004 #4
    I agree

Groundwater (or Methane).
  6. Mar 23, 2004 #5

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Quick! Organize a betting pool! (kidding)

Of course, they found that Phobos is the coolest moon in the solar system. Yeah, that's it.

Ok, it's probably something about the timespan of past liquid water as determined from rock layers.

Or maybe Opportunity fell through a sinkhole into an underground cavern inhabited by a tribe of Amazons. (kidding - in case it wasn't obvious...the Amazons are on Venus)
  7. Mar 23, 2004 #6
    A Salty Sea At Meridiani Planum

"A salty sea once washed over the plains of Mars at the Opportunity rover's landing site, creating a life-friendly environment more earthlike than any known on another world, NASA scientists announced today."

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?