1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another Manometer question

1. Nov 11, 2007 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data

Determine the pressure required to make the top of the oil, with height H0=443 mm even with the hight of mercury. The oil has relative density.920 and mercury has relative density13.55. To which side is the pressure applied?

2. Relevant equations
    Code (Text):

|      o----
    |      o
    |      o        ] 443mm
    |      o
    o      o----
    o      o
    oooooooo

o are mercury and | is oil

3. The attempt at a solution

my question is how the helllllll do i know what its relative too... and how would i go about balencing them

2. jcsd
  3. Nov 11, 2007 #2

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

There is a pressure being applied to one tube of the manometer. The pressure has to suffice to balance the difference in the weights of the contents of the two tubes. Think about force balance at the bottom of the manometer.

4. Nov 11, 2007 #3
    but i dont know the force being applied at the top am i crazy or are they too many unknowns?

5. Nov 11, 2007 #4
    The only unknown is the answer

6. Nov 11, 2007 #5

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Pressure is force per unit area. The mg force it needs to balance is g*density*volume=g*density*length*area. You can put in symbolic variables for area and length. You will find in the end you don't need to know them because they will cancel.

7. Nov 12, 2007 #6
    hmmm maybe this might help better than my sketchy diagram(see attachment)....

i still dont know how to calculate

P="rho"*g*h
    but how do i calculate "rho" if i only have the relative density

Attached Files:

8. Nov 12, 2007 #7

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Relative density is referring to a multiple of the density of water. It's not all that 'relative'. It's usually called 'specific gravity'.

9. Nov 12, 2007 #8
    Good question! I guess they mean "specific gravity" or the question cannot be answered. I'm sorry -- I translated "relative density" into "specific gravity" when reading the question.

10. Nov 12, 2007 #9
    ok so pgh-Patm = P?

please help me its 3am here... i just need someone to actually explain how to get to the answer, because my teacher is a dick. and i hate university with a passion

11. Nov 12, 2007 #10

Dick

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Weight/area is rho*g*h, if that's what you mean. And don't worry about Patm - you are just worried about a pressure difference. And the pressure difference has to support the weight difference between the two tubes.

12. Nov 12, 2007 #11
    Careful -- look who's helping you!

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?