Geometry & Topology REU Programs - Williams, Cornell, Tennessee, Indiana?

• Thread starter owlpride
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Reu Thread
In summary: The letters of recommendation are very important. They should be from someone who knows you well and can write about your strengths and weaknesses in a way that is unbiased.
Which Cornell program do you mean? The deadline for the REU hasn't even passed yet!

Physics news on Phys.org
I asked them if they had any early information. Haven't heard back yet. The deadline for Cornell is going to conflict with the deadlines the other schools gave me for notifying them of my final decision. I'm going to be cutting it really close.

Snitse said:
I got an offer from greensboro and canisius and am deciding now.

What do you think you'll end up doing?

Newtime said:
What do you think you'll end up doing?

Well my top choice is Asheville which hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm still waiting it out.

Hey, does anyone know the offer status of other reu's.

i.e.

UNC - Asheville
Claremont
Michigan
Penn State
SUNY - Potsdam
Indiana

I am just wondering because I didn't realize how competitive this was and was wondering if I should apply to a few more easy ones just in case so that I at least get something for the summer?
p.s. which ones are the easier ones, it's hard to tell.

Last edited:
BolzanoWeir said:

i.e.

UNC - Asheville
Claremont
Michigan
Penn State
SUNY - Potsdam
Indiana

I am just wondering because I didn't realize how competitive this was and was wondering if I should apply to a few more easy ones just in case so that I at least get something for the summer?

p.s. which ones are the easier ones, it's hard to tell.

Dr. Foisy from SUNY Potsdam told me he expects to be sending out the initial offers by Friday or Monday at the latest.

Snitse said:
Well my top choice is Asheville which hasn't gotten back to me yet, so I'm still waiting it out.

Why is that in these sort of things the "first choices" always take the longest?!

Newtime said:
woot. just got an offer from UNC Greensboro and accepted right away.

Good job!

How do you know about SUNY? Did Dr. Foisy already contact his top applicants?

Just got the offer from UNC-Greensboro!

We have to decide really soon tho, probably going to take it but I'm going to enquire about the status of my application at the other places.

BolzanoWeir said:
How do you know about SUNY? Did Dr. Foisy already contact his top applicants?

Not that I know of. I emailed him a day or two ago asking about the status of my application and the applications in general. He said he hopes to have the first round of offers out by Friday or Monday at the latest.

Is it ok to email other places to ask about your application given that you have an offer in hand and need to make a decision soon?

messidona said:
Is it ok to email other places to ask about your application given that you have an offer in hand and need to make a decision soon?

I have. Roll back a page and you'll see that I mentioned it.

Just be tactful.

BolzanoWeir said:

Penn State

The deadline for Penn State hasn't passed yet. They receive applications until Feb 26 (or 28 not sure which).

Penn state has a Feb. 28 deadline which I'm only worried about now because my application will be en route when the snow hits again.

I have to decide among a couple places now. I was wondering what the people who went to greensboro thought of the program?

For the people who have gotten accepted in the past, how late in the season did the e-mail come? Still haven't heard a word on any of mine.

Does anyone know how the following REU's compare

UNC-Greensboro
Penn State
Texas A & M
SUNY-Potsdam
Indiana

I have to decide among them

messidona said:

UNC-Greensboro
Penn State
Texas A & M
SUNY-Potsdam
Indiana

Why worry about reputations? Go where the most interesting project (to you) is. By the way, congrats on getting into 5 places so early!

You're right. I think I am going to take the UNC-Greensboro offer actually. Gotta check with my adviser, but that should be good

messidona said:

UNC-Greensboro
Penn State
Texas A & M
SUNY-Potsdam
Indiana

I see that you have listed Penn State as well. Have you already heard from them? I am only asking because the deadline hasn't passed yet for this REU.

Congrats for getting in by the way!

Since I had another offer I emailed them directly and they told me I was in. I think their official offers are coming out next week though, so don't worry

Just took UNC-Greensboro!

Has anyone else heard back from SUNY-Potsdam?

Has anyone heard back from?

UCLA RIPS
Cornell

I got an offer early from SUNY because I was already into the Greensboro program. I ended up accepting greensboro. However, my friend just received notice that he is into SUNY.

kungfumaster1 said:
Has anyone else heard back from SUNY-Potsdam?

I just heard from them, but I have decided on SMALL at Williams.

Congrats on SMALL! It is definitely one of the top REU's!

mathymathy said:
Has anyone heard back from?

UCLA RIPS
Cornell

I received an email from Cornell saying they'll be making their final decision early next week. They didn't say when they'd send out notifications, but I'd assume it would be soon thereafter.

Thanks!

You should definitely email the programs you haven't heard from. When I emailed other programs to withdraw my application (the ones I hadn't hear back from), one of them emailed me back offering a position even though I told them I was picking another one and their deadline had not pass yet.

mc15 said:
Thanks!

You should definitely email the programs you haven't heard from. When I emailed other programs to withdraw my application (the ones I hadn't hear back from), one of them emailed me back offering a position even though I told them I was picking another one and their deadline had not pass yet.

What program was that? You must have a really strong background! Congratulations by the way!

Gratz, btw to all getting accepted already.

I'm jealous that people are getting accepted this early.

This is an email that I got today:

"Dear SMALL Applicant,

We have now filled all of our positions for this coming summer. We had 340 applicants for 17 spots.

We found the pool this year highly qualified, and we trust that you will find (or have already found) something good for this coming summer.
Thank you for your interest in our program."

:(

I've also applied to Canisius and SUNY Potsdam-Clarkson, but have not heard anything from them yet, which doesn't sound good, since some people on here said they got contacted by one of these schools.

so I've been reading this thread (w/o an account) for at least three months. Finally creating a voice.

I applied to 18 schools.
2 let me know there won't be any this year (waste).
2 denied me, Williams and Duluth, (surprise)
1 accepted me today! (Central Michigan)

And now I have until Thursday at 5 p.m. to respond. Gonna have to call up some top choices!

Besides UNC-Green, Anyone hear back from any of this list? (I know most haven't started yet, but I'm just curious)

Cornell, Asheville, Penn State, Rutgers, UCSB, SUNY, RIT, Wabash, BYU, JMU, Hope

To those that are accepted to the Penn State REU program, you will be given the opportunity to participate in the Penn State MASS program during the Fall semester.

eNew said:
I applied to 18 schools.