1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another matlab question; triple integrals

1. Apr 18, 2011 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    The question is to use matlab to evaluate a triple integral in spherical coordinates to find the mass density of the solid inside the cone z = (3x^2 + 3y^2)^.5 and below z = 5 where the mass density at (x,y,z) is equal to the z coordinate of the point.

2. Relevant equations
    This is what I was doing. I'm using p for rho, f for phi, and t for theta to type it into matlab. I'm saying that p goes from 3 (or 0, i'm not sure....) to 5sec(f). Then f goes from 0 to pi/6 and t goes from 0 to 2pi. I'm integrating p^3*cos(f)*sin(t). I typed it in as:
    syms p f t
    int(int(int(cos(f)*sin(t)*p^3,p,3,5*sec(f)),f,0,pi/6),t,0,2*pi)
    but matlab tells me that the answer is 0, which definitely isn't true, which means that I did something wrong somewhere! I know this might be hard to follow, but can someone spot my mistake?

3. The attempt at a solution

2. jcsd
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Can you help with the solution or looking for help too?
Draft saved Draft deleted