Exploring the Dimension of Nullspaces in Matrix Products

In summary, it is proven that for matrices A and B, where the product AB is defined, the rank of AB is always less than or equal to the rank of A and B individually. This is shown by looking at the dimensions of the vector spaces of the homogenous solutions of ABx=0 and Bx=0, and proving that the former is a subset of the latter. This also implies that the rank of AB is less than or equal to the minimum of the ranks of A and B.
radou
Homework Helper
Let A and B me matrices such that the product AB is defined. One has to proove that r(AB) <= r(A) and r(AB) <= r(B).

My first thoughts are: let A be 'mxn' and B be 'nxp', so AB is 'mxp'. Further on, we know that r(A) <= min{m, n}, r(B) <= min{n, p} and r(AB) <= min{m, p}. I'm stuck here, although I tried to work something out with the inequalities, but without success. Any hints would be appreciated.

Physics news on Phys.org
you should look on the vector space of the homogenous solutions of Bx=0.
and use the fact that dim of this space equals n-rankB, also you should look on ABx=0.
from this you can easily prove that rank(AB)<=rank(B).
now i forgot how to prove the second inequality.

loop quantum gravity said:
you should look on the vector space of the homogenous solutions of Bx=0.
and use the fact that dim of this space equals n-rankB, also you should look on ABx=0.
from this you can easily prove that rank(AB)<=rank(B).
now i forgot how to prove the second inequality.

Hm, I can't exactly say I follow.

The only way that r(AB) <= r(A) would follow from this is that d2 >= d1, where d2 is the dimension of the vector space of solutions to ABx=0, and d1 the dimension of the vector space of solutions to Ax=0. But why would I conclude that d2>=d1?

ok, you need to show that U={x|Bx=0} is a subset of V={x|ABx=0}, then
dim U<=dim V
and dim U=n-rankB and dimV=n-rankAB, n is the number of columns of the matrix, the number of columns of AB is the same as of B.
the same way you can prove that rankAB<=rankA, with the use of rankAB=rank(AB)^t=rank(B^tA^t).
and rankA=rankA^t.

if you ask why dimU<=dimV, then it follow from a thoerem that if U is subspace of V then (and V is finite) the inequality holds.

Ok, I got a grip on it now. Thanks! :wink:

Woah, boys, you're making this way way to complicated. What is the rank? Just the dimension of the image. This is cleary a submultiplicative function (take some linearly independent vectors, applying a linear map can only make it more dependent).

matt grime said:
Woah, boys, you're making this way way to complicated. What is the rank? Just the dimension of the image. This is cleary a submultiplicative function (take some linearly independent vectors, applying a linear map can only make it more dependent).

Ok, the definition of the rank of a mxn matrix A is r(A) = dim [{C1, ..., Cn}], where C1, ..., Cn are the columns of the matrix. What exactly does it mean 'to be a submultiplicative function' and how exactly do I apply this to the problem?

The image of AB is a subet of the image of A. So r(AB) <= r(A).

The second inequality follows from the first, as
r(AB) = r((AB)^t) = r(B^t A^t) <= r(B^t) = r(B)

morphism said:
The image of AB is a subet of the image of A.

How is the image of a matrix defined?

The set { Av in R^m : v is in R^n }, if A is mxn, which is the same as the image of the linear transformation T : R^n -> R^m given by Tv = Av. So a matrix can simply be thought of as a linear transformation.

radou said:
What exactly does it mean 'to be a submultiplicative function' and how exactly do I apply this to the problem?

Forget it: it wasn't important, and wasn't used in the technical sense, just a suggestive one.

Last edited:
matt grime said:
Forget it: it wasn't important, and wasn't used in the technical sense, just a suggestive one.

Yes, perhaps a bit too nonsuggestive for my level (no offence, of course). :smile:

solution :

let C=AB [ A=m*k , B= k*n, C= m*n]
now let the rows be C and B be: {c[1],c[2],...c[m]} , { b[1],b[2]...b[k]
thus we can write :
c= A[1]*b[1] + A[2]*b[2] +...+ A[m]*b[m]

therefore the row space of C is a subspace of row space of B
therefre Rowrank(C)=rank(C) <= Rank (B)
similarly proceed wid column rank argument for
Column rank (C)=Rank(C) <= Colum rank (A)=Rank(A)
hence Rank(C)<= {Rank(A),Rank(B)}

You can think this as ''how can the dimension of the nullspace of the product increase ?" For a little intuition, think about how can (AB)x = 0 be satisfied with a nonzero x vector, either it is because x is in the nullspace of B or (Bx) is in the nullspace in A. It is very useful to experiment these kind of stuff with full rank rectangular matrices...

1. What is a matrix rank?

A matrix rank is the number of linearly independent rows or columns in a matrix. It can also be thought of as the maximum number of linearly independent rows or columns that can be selected from the matrix.

2. How is the rank of a matrix calculated?

There are various methods to calculate the rank of a matrix, but one common method is to use row reduction (also known as Gaussian elimination) to transform the matrix into reduced row echelon form. The number of non-zero rows in the reduced matrix is equivalent to the rank of the original matrix.

3. What is the importance of knowing the rank of a matrix?

The rank of a matrix is important in many areas of mathematics and science, including linear algebra, statistics, and computer science. It is used to determine the number of linearly independent equations in a system, the dimension of a vector space, and the number of solutions to a system of linear equations, among other things.

4. How can the rank of a matrix be proven?

There are various proofs for the rank of a matrix, including the rank-nullity theorem, which states that the rank of a matrix plus the nullity (dimension of the null space) is equal to the number of columns in the matrix. Another common proof involves using elementary row operations to transform the matrix into reduced row echelon form and counting the number of non-zero rows.

5. What is "Another matrix rank proof"?

"Another matrix rank proof" is a general term that refers to any proof or method used to determine the rank of a matrix other than the commonly known methods, such as row reduction. It may involve using different mathematical concepts or techniques to calculate the rank of a matrix, or it may involve proving the rank of a specific type of matrix, such as a square matrix or a sparse matrix.