Can an insulator affect the electric field of a charged particle?

In summary, the conversation discusses the relationship between an electric field and net charge enclosed by a surface. It is determined that even if an insulator is present, the electric field can still exist on the surface. Insulators do not block electric fields, only electric current.
qz27
If the field is zero at all points on a surface, does this mean there is no net charge enclosed by the surface?

I thought if you had an insulator of some kind wrapping around the charged particle, it could have those properties. but i also feel that electric field will go through insulator..( like a magnet that's still magnetic even if its covered by a layer of wood)..

any help would be appreciated

Physics news on Phys.org
qz27 said:
If the field is zero at all points on a surface, does this mean there is no net charge enclosed by the surface?
Yes.

I thought if you had an insulator of some kind wrapping around the charged particle, it could have those properties.
I don't understand what you're saying here.

well, if there's a charged sphere, like a mouse ball, but the outside of it is wrapped in rubber, which will insulate it, would there be an electric field on the surface of the rubber?

Sure, why not?

qz27 said:
but the outside of it is wrapped in rubber, which will insulate it

Insulators block electric current, not the electric field.

thanks DOC Al and jtbell!
thats exactly what i needed to know but wasnt sure about!

1. What is net charge?

Net charge is the overall charge of an object or substance, taking into account the number of protons and electrons present. It can be positive, negative, or neutral.

2. How is net charge calculated?

To calculate net charge, you need to know the number of protons and electrons present. If there are more protons than electrons, the net charge will be positive. If there are more electrons than protons, the net charge will be negative. If the numbers are equal, the net charge will be neutral.

3. Can an object have a fractional net charge?

No, net charge can only be a whole number. This is because protons and electrons have a fixed charge of +1 and -1, respectively. Therefore, the number of protons and electrons must be equal for the net charge to be a whole number.

4. What are the units of net charge?

The unit for net charge is coulombs (C). This unit is named after French physicist Charles-Augustin de Coulomb, who discovered the laws of electrostatics.

5. How does net charge affect the behavior of objects?

Objects with opposite net charges will attract each other, while objects with the same net charge will repel each other. This is known as the law of electrostatic attraction and repulsion. Net charge also plays a role in determining the conductivity and reactivity of substances.