Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another newbie question

1. Aug 12, 2006 #1
    tTs said that objects effect the space around them. Example is if we look near the sun and see a star(or planet) that really is blocked by sun, so the light bends around and we view it. Well how does this pertain all of the viewable space we see out there? I mean if I view one star or galaxy , then I view another star or galaxy near by, couldn't there be a chance the closer object might bend the light of the object futher out? How does that change the way we view the universe as a whole?

2. jcsd
  3. Aug 12, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Gold Member

The amount of bending by the sun is very small, so it is noticeable with very precise measurements. However, the same effect is more apparent when light passes close to a galaxy. Lensing effects take place and we can see multiple images and other distortions.
  4. Aug 12, 2006 #3

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

In fact, a lot of research is being devoted to answering just that question. As mathman has already suggested, the deviations are very small -- the sky wouldn't look any different to your eye if there were no gravitational distortions. However, we can detect the difference with our telescopes and it turns out to be a powerful tool for studying the distribution of mass in the universe. Gravitational lensing appears in many contexts, including studies of quasars, the cosmic microwave background, the large-scale distribution of matter, dark matter, galaxy and cluster masses, and even extrasolar planets.
  5. Aug 12, 2006 #4

Any related topics I can read on here ? Mabe a hot topic to look over?

6. Aug 12, 2006 #5
    Besides I havent really thought about this question much till a few days ago. Been bugging me :P
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?