Another one of them circuit questions

• Thread starter NotaPhysicsMan
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Circuit
In summary, the circuit in the conversation consists of two resistors, a capacitor, and a battery. The voltage drop at the node going into the 4 ohm resistor is 8 volts, which can be calculated using Ohm's Law. The magnitude of q, the charge on one of the capacitor's plates when it is fully charged, is 7.2x10^-5 Coulombs, which can be calculated using the formula q=CV.
NotaPhysicsMan
The circuit in the drawing shows two resistors, a capacitor and a battery. When the capacitor is fully charged, what is the magnitude of q of the charge on one of its plates?

Here's what I got so far:

So 12= 2I + 4I

Since q=CV and I have C=9.0uF, all I need is the voltage. And since the voltage drop between parallel circuits is the same then all I have to find is the voltage at the node going into 4 ohm resistor? Sounds like a good method but I can't seem to get the voltage drop.

Any ideas? :uhh:

Attachments

• Capac.JPG
    Capac.JPG
    3.4 KB · Views: 1,118
Physics news on Phys.org
okay for those who can't see the attachment because it's waiting approval:

Code:
|-R=2.0ohm-|--------|
|                |           |
V=12V        R=4ohm  C=9.0uF 
|                |           |
|__________|_______|

Ok where I placed the letters is where you'll get a resistor or capacitor or voltage etc.
ugh, the code thing doesn't work so well, but the R=4ohm is in the middle branch and the C=9.0uF is at the end branch.

Ack, I got it nvm.

Easy really, almost had it too

12=2I+4I, I=2

V=IR at the 4
V=2*4
V=8 Volts

q=CV
=9.0x10^-6Fx8Volts
=7.2x10^-5 C.

Thanks notaphysicsman :)

1. What is a circuit?

A circuit is a closed loop or path through which electric current can flow. It typically consists of a power source, wires or conductors, and components such as resistors, capacitors, and switches.

2. What is the purpose of a circuit?

The purpose of a circuit is to control the flow of electricity and provide power to devices. By using different components, circuits can perform a variety of functions, such as amplifying signals, converting AC to DC, and storing energy.

3. How do you calculate the total resistance in a circuit?

To calculate the total resistance in a circuit, you add the resistance of each component in series or use the parallel resistance formula for components in parallel. The unit of resistance is ohms (Ω).

4. What is the difference between series and parallel circuits?

In a series circuit, components are connected one after the other, creating a single path for electric current to flow. In a parallel circuit, components are connected side by side, creating multiple paths for electric current to flow. Series circuits have the same current throughout, while parallel circuits have the same voltage across each branch.

5. How do you troubleshoot a circuit?

To troubleshoot a circuit, you can use a multimeter to measure voltage, current, and resistance at different points. You can also check for loose connections, damaged components, or incorrect wiring. It may also be helpful to refer to a circuit diagram and use logic to identify the source of the issue.