Another one of those what are my chances? threads

In summary, the individual has a strong GPA, research experience in both experimental and theoretical/computational physics, and high GRE scores (with the exception of verbal). They have a well-balanced list of schools, including those with personal connections and those with strong programs in condensed matter and AMO. It is recommended that they also consider applying to other top schools in their field. Overall, their chances of admission are good as long as they submit a strong application.
unit_circle
Another one of those "what are my chances?" threads

So I finally got my physics GRE subject scores, and I wanted to throw my stats up and my list of schools and see what everyone thinks. I'm hoping to work in condensed matter and/or AMO, in theory and/or computational physics.

Large US State School with undergrad only physics program. I'm a U.S. citizen.
Double major in physics and mathematics
Beyond typical physics coursework I have upper division electives in solid state, soft matter, optics, and astrophysics. In math I've taken courses in ODES, PDES, complex analysis, numerical analysis, linear algebra, and even a real analysis course that uses the legendary baby Rudin.

Total GPA: 3.9
Physics GPA: 3.9
Math GPA: 3.8
GRE Verbal: 590
GRE Quant: 770
GRE Subject 730, 64th percentile (ouch I thought I did better, but I was pretty sick that day)

One year research experience in an AFM laboratory, where I was pretty green and did not accomplish much besides helping a new hired prof build up his lab.

One plus years research experience in theory/computation: one project in involving computational modeling of two dimensional electron systems, which should lead to a paper in an undergrad research journal, and another involving computational modeling of the electrostatics of living cells. I'm still working on both of these projects.

I should get one superior letter and two strong letters.

Here's my list, in no particular order of preference

U. of Oregon
Stanford
UC Berkeley
UC Santa Barbara
UC San Diego
CalTech
U. of Arizona
Cornell
Yale

At least that was my plan before I got my GRE score back. Now I'm not so sure. Also, my research adviser has some connections at Yale and Stanford. Geographically, I prefer western US but I have Yale and Cornell because they have a lot of research that I'm interested in. Any comments or suggestions would be appreciated, and thanks for reading yet another one of these annoying threads.

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org

First of all, congratulations on your impressive academic achievements and research experience! Your strong GPA in both physics and mathematics, as well as your research experience in both experimental and theoretical/computational physics, make you a competitive candidate for graduate programs in condensed matter and AMO.

Regarding your GRE scores, while your verbal score may be on the lower side, your high quant score and strong subject score demonstrate your proficiency in the necessary mathematical and analytical skills for graduate studies in physics.

In terms of your list of schools, it seems well-balanced and includes some top programs in your field of interest. It's great that you have some personal connections at Yale and Stanford, as those can often be helpful in the admissions process. However, don't discount other schools on your list just because you don't have personal connections there. Admissions decisions are based on a variety of factors and having a strong application overall is what will ultimately make you stand out.

My suggestion would be to also consider applying to a few other schools that have strong programs in condensed matter and AMO, such as MIT, Harvard, University of Colorado Boulder, and University of Illinois Urbana-Champaign. These schools may also have research that aligns with your interests and could be good additions to your list.

Overall, I would say your chances are good for admission to at least one of the schools on your list. Just make sure to put together a strong application, including your research experience, letters of recommendation, and a well-written personal statement. Best of luck to you in your graduate school journey!

I understand the desire to seek advice and feedback on your chances for graduate school. However, it is important to remember that there are many factors that go into admissions decisions, and it is impossible to accurately predict your chances based on a few statistics and schools you are interested in.

That being said, your GPA and GRE scores are strong and your research experience is a positive factor. Your plan to apply to a mix of schools with strong research programs in your areas of interest is a good approach. It is also a good idea to have a mix of schools in terms of competitiveness, as it is difficult to predict how admissions committees will weigh different aspects of your application.

In terms of your GRE subject score, while it may not be as high as you had hoped, it is still a respectable score and should not greatly impact your chances. It is important to remember that admissions committees also consider other factors such as research experience, letters of recommendation, and personal statements.

My advice would be to focus on submitting a strong and well-rounded application, highlighting your strengths and passion for your chosen field of study. Best of luck to you in your graduate school journey.

1. What is the purpose of these "what are my chances?" threads?

These threads are often created by individuals seeking reassurance or guidance on their chances of success in a particular situation, such as getting accepted into a program or winning a competition.

2. Are the responses in these threads reliable?

The reliability of responses in these threads can vary. Some responses may be based on personal experiences or opinions, while others may be backed by research or data. It is important to consider the credibility of the responder and the validity of their information.

3. How can I increase my chances of success?

This will depend on the specific situation and the factors that contribute to success. Some general tips could include setting realistic goals, seeking advice from experts, and putting in hard work and dedication.

4. Should I base important decisions on the responses in these threads?

It is not recommended to base important decisions solely on the responses in these threads. It is important to gather information from multiple sources and consider all factors before making a decision.

5. Can these threads be helpful?

These threads can be helpful in providing different perspectives and insights on a particular situation. However, it is important to keep in mind that the responses are not guaranteed to be accurate and should not be relied upon as the sole source of information.