1. Not finding help here? Sign up for a free 30min tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another one on contours

1. Feb 21, 2006 #1
    I shall plot the contour diagram of

[tex] z = (x^2 - y^2) * e^ {-x^2 - y^2} [/tex]

for z = O this is easy, however, if z = 1 one gets

[tex] ln (x^2-y^2) = x^2 + y^2 [/tex]

Does anyone know how to draw this?

I tried to find the intersection between two functions y1 and y2 being the lhs and rhs of the above equation respectively; but since I don't know how to draw y = ln (x^2 - y^2) either I have no clue how this is supposed to work.
  2. jcsd
  3. Feb 21, 2006 #2

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Maybe start by looking at x² as X, and y² as Y, so you're just looking at ln(X-Y) = X+Y. Also, you do not want to see where y = ln(x² - y²) and y = x² + y² intersect. For example, if you wanted to plot the diagram for

cos(y) = sin(y)

you wouldn't want to see where:

y = sin(y), and y = cos(y)

intersected. y = cos(y) will just be the horizontal line y = 0.74 (approximately), and y = sin(y) will just be the horizontal line y = 0, so their intersection will be empty. On the other hand, sin(y) = cos(y) will have a solution consisting of infinitely many horizontal lines, a distance of [itex]\pi[/itex] apart from one another.

So you really just have to solve ln(X-Y) = X+Y.
  4. Feb 21, 2006 #3
    thanks for this. I do understand your argument. however, I do not understand how I could draw ln(X-Y) = X+Y either, since solving for x and y looks impossible.

5. Feb 22, 2006 #4

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

I belive you're approaching it wrong. Do not take the log but rather solve for y in the equation:

Yea, it could happen via the Lambert W function. How about I start it for you:

Switch it around to:

Now here comes the tricky part: What do I have to multiply both sides by so that the LHS is:

(where f is some algebraic expression)

That's the form to extract the Lambert-W function. Then solve for y . . . equal rights and all that stuf.:smile:
    Last edited: Feb 22, 2006
Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook

Have something to add?