Solution for Expressing Derivatives in Terms of u

In summary: Similarly, from the other equation we can solve for \partial u/\partial x and get\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}=\frac{\frac{\partial w}{\partial r}+u(\frac{\partial y}{\partial r})}{r}Now, substitute these expressions into the given PDE and solve for u in terms of w, r, and \theta. Then use the initial condition to solve for the constant of integration.
gtfitzpatrick

Homework Statement

w(r,[tex]\theta[/tex])= u(rcos [tex] \theta [/tex]),rsin([tex] \theta[/tex])) for some u(x,y)

express [tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{\partial r} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} [/tex] in terms of [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] and [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex]

Homework Equations

rewrite the following PDE and initial conditions in terms of w,r and [tex]\theta[/tex] and solve

y[tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] - x[tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] = 1 where u(x,0) = 0 for 0<x<[tex]\infty[/tex]

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial x}{ \partial r} [/tex] + [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial r} [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial x}{ \partial \theta} [/tex] + [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial \theta} [/tex]

but I am not sure about part b...

Physics news on Phys.org
any suggestions anyone?

gtfitzpatrick said:

The Attempt at a Solution

[tex] \frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial x}{ \partial r} [/tex] + [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial r} [/tex]

and

[tex] \frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} [/tex] = [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial x}{ \partial \theta} [/tex] + [tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] . [tex] \frac{ \partial y}{ \partial \theta} [/tex]

but I am not sure about part b...

You should be able to simplify these by using the relationship between [tex]x,y[/tex] and [tex]r,\theta[/tex].

rewrite the following PDE and initial conditions in terms of w,r and [tex]\theta[/tex] and solve

y[tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} [/tex] - x[tex] \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y} [/tex] = 1 where u(x,0) = 0 for 0<x<[tex]\infty[/tex]

Did you try to write this in terms of [tex]r,\theta[/tex]? You'll find that the form of the equation becomes very simple.

x= rcos [tex]\theta[/tex]
y = rsin [tex] \theta[/tex]
but how do i sub these in

As a first step you need to compute the derivatives [tex]\partial x/\partial r [/tex], etc. Then you need to determine the derivatives of u in terms of those of w and so on.

[tex]
\frac{ \partial x}{ \partial r}
[/tex] = 1
and [tex]
\frac{ \partial y}{ \partial r}
[/tex] = 1
so
[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}
[/tex]
am i right in thinking this?

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]
\frac{ \partial x}{ \partial r}
[/tex] = 1
and [tex]
\frac{ \partial y}{ \partial r}
[/tex] = 1
so
[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x} + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}
[/tex]
am i right in thinking this?

No. You just wrote that [tex]x=r \cos\theta[/tex], so how do you obtain [tex]\partial x/\partial r =1[/tex]?

sorrysorry i meant cos[tex]\theta[/tex]

OK, so you need to work out [tex]\partial w/\partial r[/tex] and [tex]\partial w/\partial \theta[/tex], then solve algebraically for [tex]\partial u/\partial x[/tex] and [tex]\partial u/\partial y[/tex].

[tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}cos\theta + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}sin\theta

[/tex]

and [tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}rsin\theta - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}rcos\theta

[/tex]

right?

[tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{1}{r}( \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}x + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}y)

[/tex]

and

[tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}x - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}y

[/tex]

but I am not sure where to go from here...

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}cos\theta + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}sin\theta

[/tex]

and

[tex]

\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \mathbf{\theta}} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}rsin\theta - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}rcos\theta

[/tex]

right?

Now, like I said before, you want to solve these algebraically for [tex]\partial u/\partial x[/tex] and [tex]\partial u/\partial y[/tex]. You are then going to use those expressions to rewrite

[tex]y\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=1[/tex]

in terms of derivatives of [tex]w[/tex].

from [tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \mathbf{\theta}} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}rsin\theta - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}rcos\theta
[/tex]

and

[tex]
y\frac{\partial u}{\partial x}-x\frac{\partial u}{\partial y}=1
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \mathbf{\theta}} = 1
[/tex]

this is killing me. its probably staring me in the face...

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]
[/tex]

this is killing me. its probably staring me in the face...

Well, what is the solution of that equation? Remember that this is a partial derivative, so the integration "constant" can depend on the other variable.

Next use the initial condition u(x,0) = 0 to fix the integration constant. What does the value y=0 correspond to in the polar coordinates?

[tex]
[/tex]

[tex] w(r,\theta) = \theta + f(r) [/tex]?

im digging a big hole here i feel :(

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]
[/tex]

[tex] w(r,\theta) = \theta + f(r) [/tex]?

im digging a big hole here i feel :(

That's correct. Now you have to figure out what y=0 means in polar coordinates and then apply the condition u(x,0)=0 to this solution.

thanks fzero for you patience!
ng code was used to generate this LaTeX image:

[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}y - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}x
[/tex]

[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial r} = \frac{1}{r}( \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}x + \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}y)
[/tex]

so this the answer for part a?

and then i use

[tex]

[/tex]

[tex]
w(r,\theta) = \theta + f(r)
[/tex]

and then as you say figure out what y=0 means in polar coordinates and then apply the condition u(x,0)=0 to this solution.

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]
\frac{ \partial w}{ \partial \theta} = \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial x}y - \frac{ \partial u}{ \partial y}x
[/tex]

[tex]
[/tex]

so this the answer for part a?

Yes, though I'm not sure whether your grader will care if you express it this way or in terms of the angle.

fzero said:
That's correct. Now you have to figure out what y=0 means in polar coordinates and then apply the condition u(x,0)=0 to this solution.

when y=o gives rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 can't br just that can it?

gtfitzpatrick said:
when y=o gives rcos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 can't br just that can it?

Well [tex]y=r\sin\theta[/tex], so you want to find the solutions of [tex]r\sin\theta=0[/tex].

how do i find the solution when there are 2 variables though? [tex]\theta[/tex] and r ? could there not be a any solution?

gtfitzpatrick said:
how do i find the solution when there are 2 variables though? [tex]\theta[/tex] and r ? could there not be a any solution?

If the product

[tex]A(x) B(y)=0,[/tex]

then this is solved whenever either

[tex]A(x)=0[/tex]

or

[tex]B(y)=0.[/tex]

so either r=0
or [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] ?

gtfitzpatrick said:
so either r=0
or [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0 or [tex]\pi[/tex] ?

Right. Now you were also told that [tex]0< x < \infty[/tex], so are all of those compatible with this condition?

[tex]\theta[/tex] must = 0 as cos[tex]\pi[/tex] = -1?

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]\theta[/tex] must = 0 as cos[tex]\pi[/tex] = -1?

That's right. So what solution [tex]w(r,\theta)[/tex] satisfies the initial condition?

fzero said:
That's right. So what solution [tex]w(r,\theta)[/tex] satisfies the initial condition?

[tex]w(r,\theta)[/tex] = [tex]w(r,0)[/tex] ??

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]w(r,\theta)[/tex] = [tex]w(r,0)[/tex] ??

You're told that [tex]u(x,y=0)=0[/tex] for all allowed x. You found that [tex]y=0[/tex] corresponds to [tex]\theta =0[/tex]. So the initial condition is equivalent to [tex]w(r,\theta=0)=0[/tex]. Your general solution is

[tex]w(r,\theta) = \theta + f(r).[/tex]

What you want to do is use the initial condition to determine [tex]f(r)[/tex].

[tex]
w(r,\theta) = f(r).
[/tex]

gtfitzpatrick said:
[tex]
w(r,\theta) = f(r).
[/tex]

What value does that take when [tex]\theta=0[/tex]? Is it consistent with the information you were given?

cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1 when [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0

so that gives r = x, the initial condition?

gtfitzpatrick said:
cos[tex]\theta[/tex] = 1 when [tex]\theta[/tex] = 0

so that gives r = x, the initial condition?

The initial condition was [tex]u(x,0)=0[/tex], which we found was equivalent to [tex]w(r,\theta)=0[/tex]. The fact that [tex]r=x[/tex] when [tex]y=0[/tex] doesn't restrict the solution.

provided 0<r<[tex]\infty[/tex] ?

gtfitzpatrick said:
provided 0<r<[tex]\infty[/tex] ?

Yes, the initial condition doesn't pick out a value of r, though it does exclude [tex]r=0[/tex] for a reason that will probably become apparent when you have the complete solution in hand.

cool thank a mill

1. What is the purpose of expressing derivatives in terms of u?

The purpose of expressing derivatives in terms of u is to simplify the calculation of derivatives, particularly in cases where the expression involves a complex function. By substituting u for a portion of the function, the derivative can be calculated more easily and efficiently.

2. How do you express a derivative in terms of u?

To express a derivative in terms of u, you must first identify a portion of the function that can be substituted with u. Then, use the chain rule to calculate the derivative of the function with respect to u. Finally, substitute the original expression back in for u to obtain the derivative in terms of the original function.

3. Can any function be expressed in terms of u?

Yes, any function can be expressed in terms of u as long as there is a portion of the function that can be substituted with u. However, the resulting expression may not always be simpler than the original function, so it is important to carefully choose which portion of the function to substitute.

4. What are the benefits of using u-substitution for expressing derivatives?

The main benefit of using u-substitution is that it simplifies the calculation of derivatives, making it easier and more efficient. It can also be useful when dealing with complex functions, as it allows for a more systematic and organized approach to finding derivatives.

5. Are there any limitations to using u-substitution for expressing derivatives?

One limitation of u-substitution is that it may not always result in a simpler expression for the derivative. In some cases, it may even make the expression more complicated. Additionally, u-substitution may not be applicable to all functions, as there may not always be a suitable portion of the function to substitute with u.