1. Limited time only! Sign up for a free 30min personal tutor trial with Chegg Tutors
    Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another physics problem? (sorry so many at one time)

1. Sep 12, 2009 #1
    1. The problem statement, all variables and given/known data
    After a day of testing race cars, you decide to take your own 1550 kg car onto the test track. While moving down the track at 10 m/s, you uniformly accelerate to 30 m/s in 10 s. What is the average net force that the track has applied to the car during the 10 s interval?

2. Relevant equations
    F=ma

3. The attempt at a solution
    Is it just (20/10)*1550? the only thing that confuses me is "the average net force that the track has applied to the car." The track applied to the car. Did the track apply the force?

2. jcsd
  3. Sep 12, 2009 #2

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Your calculation is correct. Yes, the track applied the force. What else is there (not part of the train) that could provide a horizontal force? Or, if the track were completely frictionless, i.e. cannot provide a horizontal force, would the train be able to accelerate?

4. Sep 12, 2009 #3
    If the dragster moves like a squid :) Sorry, I couldn't resist, but seriously, thanks!

5. Sep 12, 2009 #4

kuruman

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper
    Gold Member

Sorry, dragster not train. Rocket-propelled dragsters do act like squids, so your comment is not as silly as you might think.

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook