Solving the Problem of Descending Balloons

• Thread starter discoverer02
  • Start date
In summary, to cause a descending balloon to accelerate upward with the same acceleration, a, a weight of 2w1a/(g+a) of ballast needs to be released. This can be found by using Newton's Second Law when considering the forces acting on the balloon in both the descending and ascending states. It is important to note that the buoyant force remains unchanged and only the weight of the balloon and ballast changes. Neglecting air resistance, this calculation can be used to determine the necessary weight of ballast to achieve the desired acceleration.
discoverer02
Here's the problem:

A balloon is descending with constant acceleration, a, (which of course is less than g). The weight of the balloon, with its basket and contents, is w1. In order to cause the balloon to accelerate upward with the same accelerations, a, what weight (call it w2 in your solution) of ballast needs to be released? Neglect air resistance. (You need to put in an unknown buoyant force on the balloon.)

The way I figure it there are two forces acting on the balloon there's the F up, and w1 or (w1 - w2) acting downward. When I use Newton's second law with just these two forces I get w2 = 2ma. The answer that I'm supposed to get is w2 = 2w1a/(g+a).

F - w1 = -ma, F - (w1 - w2) = ma

F = w1 - ma ===> w1 - ma -w1 + w2 = ma ==> w2 = 2ma.

I'm missing something. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks

Physics news on Phys.org
balloon going down with acceleration a:
F1 = -w1*(a+g)

you want to go up with acceleration a so you need 2 times force F1 in opposite direction:
F2 = 2F1=2w1(a+g)

got stuck here :(

the fault in your solution is this i think: F - w1 = -ma, that isn't right. and using w1 and m is also confusing i think

Actually the bouyant force remains unchanged. The downward force changes from w1 to w1 - w2, so the mass, in the case of the ascending balloon, changes to (m1 - m2)/g.

f - w1 = m(-a)
f - (w1-w2) = (m1-m2)a/g

the 'a' is the same, but in the opposite direction, and everything looks right, but it doesn't turn into the equations it's supposed to for w2.

very confusing all those w's and m's

but i think F-w1 != m(-a)

OK w1 = m1g.

Newton's Second Law: F = ma

The only forces on the balloon in the case where it's descending are the buoyant force F and the weight of the balloon so:

F - m1g = m1(-a) or F - w1 = m1(-a)

I finally figured this out. Shame on me. It took way too long!

Using Newton's Second Law.

Balloon descending: F - m1g = m1(-a)
Balloon rising: F - (m1 - m2)g = (m1 - m2)a

m1g - m1a = (m1 - m2)a + (ma - M2)g
m1g - m1g = m1a - m2a + m1g - m2g
-2m1a = -m2(g + a) Multiply both sides by g
2m1ga = m2g(g + a)
2w1a/(g + a) = w2

1. How do balloons descend?

Balloons descend due to the principle of buoyancy, which states that an object will float if it is less dense than the air around it. As the air inside the balloon cools, it becomes denser and therefore less buoyant, causing the balloon to descend.

2. What is the problem with descending balloons?

The main problem with descending balloons is that they can cause harm to the environment and wildlife. When balloons land in bodies of water or on land, they can be mistaken for food by animals and can also entangle them, leading to injury or death. Additionally, the materials used to make balloons, such as latex and plastic, can take a long time to decompose and can contribute to pollution.

3. How can the problem of descending balloons be solved?

One solution to the problem of descending balloons is to use alternative materials that are more environmentally friendly and biodegradable. Another solution is to properly dispose of balloons and avoid releasing them into the air. Additionally, creating awareness and educating people about the impact of balloons on the environment can help to reduce the use and release of balloons.

4. Are there any regulations on releasing balloons?

Yes, some countries and states have regulations on releasing balloons. For example, in the United States, several states have banned or restricted the release of balloons, and there is also a federal law that prohibits the release of balloons into certain airspace. It is important to check with local laws and regulations before releasing balloons.

5. What are the potential consequences of not solving the problem of descending balloons?

If the problem of descending balloons is not addressed, it can have long-term consequences on the environment and wildlife. The accumulation of balloon debris can harm animals and disrupt ecosystems. It can also contribute to pollution and harm the planet's overall health. In addition, not solving this problem can also reflect poorly on human responsibility and care for the environment.