Solving a Physics Problem: Finding Acceleration Without Time | Expert Tips"

• Thread starter sundrops
  • Start date
  • Tags
    Physics
In summary, the conversation discusses a problem involving an object moving with constant acceleration. The velocity of the object at two different positions is given and the question is to determine the acceleration. One person solves the problem using an equation and gets a seemingly impossible answer. Another person suggests checking the question and another person points out an error in the number of significant figures. The correct answer is eventually determined and the conversation ends with a discussion about the use of technology in homework.
sundrops
kay well here goes:

An object moving with constant acceleration has a velocity v = 55.2m/s when it is at x = 6.9m and a v = 82.4m/s when it is at x = 12.4m. What is its acceleration?

Now this problem qould be simple if time were given but it isn't so I'm going to need a little bit of help please.

What I did with this one was I plugged the numbers into the following equation:
Vf^2 = Vi^2 +2a(xf - xi)

which gave me,

(82.4)^2 = (55.2)^2 + 2a(12.4 - 6.9)
6789.76 - 3047.04 = 2a(5.5)
a = 340.25m/s^2

whish is needless to say, well...impossible. Is there another way to attack this problem or maybe if someone could please point out my mistake?

Physics news on Phys.org
That should be right.

but it isn't! I submitted my answer (my h/w is done on the net) and it said it was incorrect. too hard!

Hmm, let me think for a bit.

thanks for taking the time! :)

I don't know what's wrong, that answer should be right, maybe I missed something.

Last edited by a moderator:
sundrops said:
thanks for taking the time! :)

Can you double check the question? Maybe it was 55.2 m/s at 12.4m and 82.4 m/s at 6.9m?

nope its right.

and like its a three part question so I can't attempt the other two parts until i get the first one correct - maybe I'll try submitting it again (we get 3 tries before its marked as wrong)

but can something accelerate that quickly? it seems like its accelerating a little too fast... hmmm

Don't submit it yet! futbol got a different answer! How did you get 134.52? I get the same thing as sundrops: 340.25 m/s^2

good thing I tried submitting again! I had too many digits in my answer - not the proper amount of sig figs I guess. So the answer is correct! [340.2] (man I hate computers *grumbles*)

thanks to everyone who posted! :D

wow! you guys are awesome - thanks again!

Lol, you confused the hell out of me :P Time to get some rest now :P

sundrops said:
good thing I tried submitting again! I had too many digits in my answer - not the proper amount of sig figs I guess. So the answer is correct! [340.2] (man I hate computers *grumbles*)

thanks to everyone who posted! :D

Cool! Yeesh, that's annoying though.

g'nite futbol thanks again!

it sure is! whatever happened to the good ol' days where h/w was done by hand - and marked by people??! lol

thanks again!

1. How do I find the acceleration without knowing the time?

To find the acceleration without knowing the time, you can use the formula: a = (vf - vi) / t. In this case, the final velocity (vf) and initial velocity (vi) are known, but the time (t) is not. Rearrange the equation to solve for acceleration (a).

2. Can I use other equations to find acceleration without time?

Yes, there are other equations that can be used to find acceleration without time, such as a = Δv / Δt or a = (2Δx) / t2. These equations may be more suitable depending on the given information in the problem.

3. Is it possible to find acceleration without time if only the distance is given?

No, it is not possible to find acceleration without time if only the distance is given. This is because the acceleration depends on both the change in velocity and the time it takes for that change to occur.

4. What is the importance of knowing the acceleration?

Knowing the acceleration is important because it is a fundamental concept in physics and is used to describe the rate of change in an object's velocity. It is also necessary for solving many problems in mechanics and understanding the motion of objects.

5. Are there any tips for solving physics problems involving finding acceleration without time?

Yes, here are some tips to keep in mind:

• Make sure to carefully read and understand the given information in the problem.
  • Identify the known variables and the unknown variable (acceleration).
  • Choose the appropriate equation to use based on the given information.
  • Double check your calculations and units to ensure accuracy.
  • If possible, try to solve the problem using multiple equations to confirm your answer.