Dismiss Notice
Join Physics Forums Today!
The friendliest, high quality science and math community on the planet! Everyone who loves science is here!

Another pick a number game

1. Jun 14, 2009 #1

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Choose the number that is 80 percent of the average of all the numbers picked by players of this game.

The valid range of choices are all real numbers from 0 to 100.

The target number is determined by adding up all the choices of the players, dividing by the number of players, and multiplying by 0.800000 (all numbers are rounded to the nearest millionth).

Make your choice before looking at other people's choices. You're on the honor system here, plus the only thing you win is a nice smiley icon in the post announcing you as the winner so we're not talking irrestible temptation here.

You can put your answer in hidden text to lessen the chance of people inadvertantly seeing other people's answers before choosing. Currently, that color is not in the standard color list, so if you want to change the text to match the background color, use the code and don't forget to close the tag at the end using [/ color], except without the space between the slash and "color."

Last edited: Jun 14, 2009
  2. jcsd
  3. Jun 14, 2009 #2

BobG

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Make your choices in hidden text (my choice doesn't count, since I'll do the tabulating).

My choice is pi/10000

4. Jun 14, 2009 #3

According to firebug, it's actually #e3e3e3.

Code (Text):
    .alt1, .alt1Active {
    background:#E3E3E3 none repeat scroll 0 0;
    like this

5. Jun 14, 2009 #4
    My pick:

[tex]\pi^2 \lim_{n\rightarrow \infty} \left\{ \sup_{a_{ij}\in\mathbb{R},\, \mathbf{x}_i,\mathbf{y}_j\in\mathbb{C}^n} \left\{ \left| \sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n a_{ij} \, \frac{\mathbf{x}_i \cdot\mathbf{y}_j}{\left| \mathbf{x}_i \right| \left| \mathbf{y}_j \right|} \right| \middle/ \sup_{s_i, t_j \in \mathbb{R}} \left| \sum_{i=1}^n\sum_{j=1}^n a_{ij} \, \frac{s_i \, t_j}{\left| s_i\right| \left| t_j\right|} \right| \right\} \right\} [/tex]

6. Jun 14, 2009 #5

Moonbear

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Gold Member

Okay, I'll give it a try, though the odds are against me going early without any idea how many responses might be factored into the average.

I'm going to guess:
    The answer is 42.

7. Jun 14, 2009 #6

drizzle

Gold Member

if this is serious then

42 :biggrin:

8. Jun 14, 2009 #7

drizzle

Gold Member

do I smell something here???

9. Jun 14, 2009 #8

Redbelly98

Staff Emeritus
    Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Just to make it easy for people, here is a copy-and-pasteable color tag to enclose around your answer:

[noparse] [/noparse]

And my pick: 22.001

10. Jun 14, 2009 #9
    Okay, my pick is

34 + e^sqrt(2)

11. Jun 15, 2009 #10

Borek

Staff: Mentor

but entering just two digits gives too short a message, so I have to write something below

12. Jun 15, 2009 #11

13. Jun 15, 2009 #12

CRGreathouse

Science Advisor
    Homework Helper

Know someone interested in this topic? Share this thread via Reddit, Google+, Twitter, or Facebook