Understanding Power Series Differentiation and Integration

In summary, the conversation involves differentiating and integrating a power series. The first and second derivatives, as well as the integral, are needed to be found for the given function. The conversation also includes the use of theorems for finding the derivative and integral of a power series. The main confusion lies in determining the coefficient a_n and using the correct indices for the summations.
kdinser
This one involves differentiation and integration of a power series.

I need to find the first derivative, second derivative, and integral of this.

[tex]f(x)=\sum(\frac{x}{2})^n[/tex]

if [tex]\frac{d}{dx}f(x)=\sum na_n(x-c)^{n-1}[/tex]

I guess I'm having problems figuring out what [tex]a_n[/tex] is.

Shouldn't it be 2^n and give

[tex]\sum\frac{n}{2^n}(x)^n[/tex] I know this is wrong, how is the book getting
[tex]\sum(\frac{n}{2})(\frac{x^n}{2})[/tex]

I think if I can just figure out how to find [tex]a_n[/tex] I'll be all set, I hope

Last edited:
Physics news on Phys.org
Use the theorems

[tex]\int \left( \sum f \right) = \sum \left( \int f \right)[/tex]

and

[tex] D \left( \sum f \right) = \sum \left( D f \right)[/tex]

--J

I totally screwed up the first function, it's correct now.

The bottom line for me is, if this is my problem
[tex]f(x)=\sum(\frac{x}{2})^n[/tex]
what is [tex]a_n[/tex] and how do we know?

Thanks a lot for any help, this stuff is really driving me crazy. The book doesn't have nearly enough examples and the solutions manual just plain sucks.

You're going to need to start including the indices for the summations.

Regardless, I don't know why you're so worried about determining an [itex]a_n[/itex]. It's not necessary and not particularly convenient, either. Just use the theorem I posted above, i.e.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \sum_{n=0} \frac{x^n}{2^n} \right)= \sum_{n=0}\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{x^n}{2^n} \right) [/tex]

--J

What you have there is a general fact for the derivative of any power series of the form:

[tex]f(x) = \sum\limits_0^N a_n (x - c)^n[/tex]

Because a power series can be differentiated term-by-term, the derivative is:

[tex]f'(x) = \sum\limits_0^N n a_n (x - c)^{n-1}[/tex]

In your example, if you want to apply the formula mindlessly

[tex]a_n = \frac{1}{2^n}, \qquad c = 0[/tex]

Just a note, the f' series could just as well start at n = 1, since the n = 0 term contributes nothing. Your book seems to use this fact.

--J

Thanks, I think I see where I've been making most of my mistakes with power series in general, and why they have been giving me fits. In some situations I've been thinking of n as a variable and trying to treat it as such.

To answer your original question, in
[tex]f(x)=\sum(\frac{x}{2})^n= \sum\frac{1}{2^n}x^n[/tex]

[tex] a_n= \frac{1}{2^n}[/tex]

one more thing is still bothering me though.

When I take the derivative of
[tex]\sum_{n=0}\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{x^n}{2^n} \right) [/tex]

I come up with
[tex]\sum_{n=1}\left( \frac{n}{2^n} \right)\left( \frac{x}{2} \right) ^{n-1} [/tex]

The book has
[tex]\sum_{n=1}\left( \frac{n}{2} \right)\left( \frac{x}{2} \right) ^{n-1} [/tex]

I can see that they would be equivalent at n=1, but the terms after that are not going to match. I think I'm still missing something important here.

[tex]\frac{d}{dx} \left( \frac{x^n}{2^n} \right) = \frac{n}{2^n}x^{n-1} = \frac{n}{2}\frac{x^{n-1}}{2^{n-1}} = \left(\frac{n}{2}\right)\left(\frac{x}{2}\right)^{n-1}[/tex]

Thanks James, makes sense now. I see my mistake now.

What is a power series?

A power series is a mathematical series that is written in the form of a sum of terms, where each term is a constant multiplied by a variable raised to a certain power. It is used to represent functions, especially those that cannot be easily expressed as a polynomial.

How is a power series problem solved?

To solve a power series problem, one must first identify the pattern of the series and determine its convergence. This can be done using various tests such as the ratio test, root test, or comparison test. Once the series is shown to be convergent, its sum can be found by summing the individual terms of the series.

What are some real-life applications of power series?

Power series have many applications in physics, engineering, and finance. They are used to model physical phenomena such as the motion of a pendulum, the growth of a population, or the value of a stock over time. They are also used in signal processing, where they can be used to approximate functions and improve the accuracy of calculations.

Can a power series have an infinite number of terms?

Yes, a power series can have an infinite number of terms. In fact, most power series have an infinite number of terms, as they are used to represent functions with infinitely many derivatives. However, for practical purposes, only a finite number of terms are typically used in calculations.

How are power series related to Taylor series?

Power series are a special case of Taylor series, where the center of the series is at 0. Taylor series are used to approximate functions around a specific point, and power series are a way of expressing these approximations in a more simplified form. In other words, power series can be thought of as a type of Taylor series that is centered at 0.